PDA

View Full Version : 2litre 8valve into nova gsi?!?! easy??!?!?! help!

loftusnovagsi
11-11-05, 01:00 AM
Right i have now had 3 reconditioned engines in my gsi and am fed up with the hastle i am getting from it! so i have decided its best to give up on that engine and go bigger by putting a 2litre 8valve in. i know its not the obvious choice but still got the grunt. can anyone please help me out by giving me some tips of how easy/hard this conversion is and if there is anything special i will have to do to put it in. thanks in advance!

o and if you know anyone who happens to be selling a decent one please let me know as im hoping to do the conversion asap. cheers

Adam
11-11-05, 07:45 PM
Same procedure as fitting a 2L 16v.

chunky6969
11-11-05, 08:13 PM
some one confirm ...how hard is it???? just wondering as i konw a few guys attempting it ...and they seem to think the engine will just fit?

Adam
11-11-05, 08:15 PM
Its as hard as fitting a XE.

Need bay welding etc etc.
Cav 1.6 inner cvs etc

chunky6969
11-11-05, 08:19 PM
what bout the mounting of the engine???? surely it doesnt bolt in ive looked at both cavalier and from memory the mounts on my old sr were different

Lee
11-11-05, 09:38 PM
http://www.valvers.com/downloads.htm

nova165
13-11-05, 02:24 PM
hello mate.

iv just completed a 2 litre 8 v conversion
i put the engine out of a cav sri into my nova 1.0litre carb model. running a mechanical fuel pump. other then an engine and gearbox you will need a multipoint injection fuel tank and pump (which because yours is a gsi u will already have.) you will need a spacer plate for rear engine/gearbox mount to space it by 10mm. you will need a custom front engine mount (belt end) an the stock nova mount on the front of the gearbox.the only modification with this mount is to grind the nut down slightly so that it doesnt catch the gearbox.
The easiest way to do the conversion is to buy a conversion kit. i used a cossvaux kit, and although you can save money sourcing the parts yourself,i found my way much easier.
The engine bay will need a bit of attention to fit the engine. first off, make sure your bay isnt too rotten to start with, then stitch weld all the seams that you can. i done around the turrets, inner wings, engine mount brackets, around the steering rack, front crossmember(most important) and any other seams i could find. this stiffens the whole thing up.

Next take an angle grinder and cut a slot where the alternator will sit. beat it bak so u achieve a concave dent, then weld the hole up. this gives room for the alternator pully. The crankshaft pulley on the engine will need machining. the pully has grooves for two belts, one for powersteering i think, get a machinist for shave the outer one off. however dont just cut it off because the pully is set in rubber to stop belt flap i believe.i have pictures of all this stuff so email me if you require it.
the gearbox will also need some attention. two lugs on the box will stop it fittin properly, cut these bad boys off. again i have pictures.

That should be enough for you to get the engine in. next up, get your down pipe shortened so it fits the nova system. use your gsi rad and fan. use a cavalier expansion tank with the two feeds off the top.or alternatively, use the nova one and cut a tee piece in to achieve the same.youll need an air filter in stead of the air box, an obvious one. hardest part is the wiring. i had problems with this but i used this site and a fella called fastest saloon was a great help. cheers mate. theres a 4mm red+blue wire from the fuel pump relay, this needs to go to your fuel pump. the other side to earth.i have a wiring diagram if you want it?

nowe to drive the wheels, my kit came with oversized rally shafts, mated with the specially machined hubs i got an some mk11 cavalier cv's i was rolling. slap on a set of vectra 2.0l 16v calipers some ebc discs and greenstuff pads an i can now stop.ooh dont forget the all important goodridge lines.

all in all the conversion isnt that bad.just take your time an go in with your eyes wide open. i hadnt done any conversions like this before an i found it relatively easy. i would strongly recomend you get the conversion kit. get a good welder, and start with a nice reliable engine and box. i rebuilt the top end on my engine and fitted all new ignition parts. it started first time the other night and starts turn key every morning no matter how cold or wet it is.

ANY problems or queries, email me i have extensive photos an am willing to help. im based in north london so if ur near by an want to look at anything again just ask.
good luck.

ooh one more thing, they are well quick, mine torque steers in first and second, and just changiung into third im touching 75.fairly nippy cars.
however, slap a 18e head and cam on, with inlet manifold, and a 3.0litre carlton single butterfly, an youll beat a lot of xe's out there. my mate done this to his an its quik.

dan

loftusnovagsi
19-11-05, 03:13 PM
cheers mate thats the exact response i was looking for. exellent. those wiring diagrams and pics would be a great help too if possible. loftus_da_pimp@hotmail.com. glad too hear its quick aswell. was thinkin bout 2l 16v but thought well its cheaper and the 8v engine is lighter so ill do it instead! plus with it being the 130bhp cav sri engine its not majorly less than a 16v. what sort of difference does the 1.8 head etc do then? gunna be putting a piper fast road 15bhp cam, uprated pistons and a lightened and ballenced fly wheel too. cheers again for the advice. ill let ya know how it goes just as soon as the dick thats fucked up the engine 3 bastard time sorts himself out and gives me the cash he owes me!