PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust noise?

orange_andy
10-11-05, 11:05 PM
when i turned me car off tonite i think there was like noise comin from the exhaust pipes seemd like it was a knocking noise or like oil or petti rummblin through it when the car was off for about 2 mins,, any ideas ? mayb im been over caucious but i aint had much luck with cars yet

Mike
11-11-05, 07:34 AM
could be

a) exhouast knocking on rear axle
b) exhaust cooling down and the metal work shrniking back to its normal size

Mike :|

MattNova
11-11-05, 08:06 AM
yeah mine is a full str8 through stainless and that nocks when its cooling down. but m standard one never used to do it :? strange

orange_andy
11-11-05, 09:38 AM
thanks for that advise. i think it was cooling down as i had been driving about for a few hours, then this morning i drove 10 mins and back and it didnt do it,

where abouts in derbyshire are you, my lass lives in nottingham, do you go to many cruises around there

Stuart
11-11-05, 09:55 AM
the steel in the exhaust needs time to cool etc and when it does cool it contracts causing the ticking noise.

burgo
11-11-05, 12:08 PM
usually you can tell how much of a rapping youve been giving it by how much it tings :wink:

orange_andy
12-11-05, 11:35 AM
actually i think i better get it checked, friday all i did was drive home an i then out to the shop and i could hear it doing it when i hadnt hammered the car at all :S drove down the motorway for a few hours though no probs i dont think cheers for the advice

Adam
12-11-05, 03:38 PM
The exhaust is still very hot after you have just been driving around, not just when taking it for a boost.

orange_andy
12-11-05, 03:56 PM
started the car drove about 10 minutes and 5 in traffic got home back out while i was at a junction i heard it doin it i think :S shud it be doin that, cheers for the advise

Adam
12-11-05, 04:18 PM
started the car drove about 10 minutes and 5 in traffic got home back out while i was at a junction i heard it doin it i think :S shud it be doin that, cheers for the advise
Well, mine dont do it,lol.

Is it the standard exhaust fitted?

orange_andy
12-11-05, 05:29 PM
na its a 4--1 manifold an a big fuck off exhaust

nistec
12-11-05, 05:34 PM
why not take a look underneath when ya hear it doing it? most likely just the exhaust cooling down, dont worry about it at all mate!

my pulsar does it all the the time, buit to be fair the manifold does glow bright red at times :lol: