PDA

View Full Version : welding

muzzy
09-11-05, 07:38 PM
i am planning converting a 1.2 nova to a 2L 8v, i have been looking at buying my own welder to do the job.

firstly is it better to buy pre-made plates to weld to the chassis or to weld necessary areas with a welder.

secondly what kind of welder should i look at getting for this type of job?

bump
10-11-05, 11:18 AM
alright mate,

it doesn't sound like you've got much fabbing experience.

go for a gas mig at around 150 amps. i'd say to get an auto darkening helmet. cost's more but is much easier to work with especially if your new to welding.

the best method is to stich weld every seam in the bay. that is to weld for one inch then leave an inch gap then weld for another inch etc.

for strengthening plates you could go for the harry hockley kit or fab up your own from some plate steel your choice really. i've always made my own, but used to make heavy engineered semi dry concrete moulds so am pretty handy with it.

hope it helps

bump

Austin_Nova16
10-11-05, 12:09 PM
If your car is still in pritty good niock under the bonnet, plates are not essential in strengthening your front end for road/track use. A good session of stich welding should be more than adiquate.

muzzy
10-11-05, 01:39 PM
cheers

Mike
10-11-05, 05:01 PM
you can get a gas less MIG welder for under ?100 now days

i got mine for ?75 + vat :|

Austin_Nova16
10-11-05, 05:24 PM
Gas migs are far superior. Having an inert area around the weld as it is produced makes the weld stronger...

If you have the option. go gas!

Adam
10-11-05, 05:54 PM
Yeah, get a GAS mig welder.

muzzy
10-11-05, 11:09 PM
been looking around at welders, i could get someone else to do it but thought f**k it ill give it a go myself, not in a rush so ill just keep having a scan for some good welders
cheers for the help!

Adam
10-11-05, 11:21 PM
MachineMart do a decent clarke gas MIG welder with everything you need to weld.