PDA

View Full Version : it begins...

MattNova
09-11-05, 04:55 PM
...carb iceing (i know i cant spell)

this morning on the way to work, pretty much every junction that i came to the car conked out on me (bugger)

anyone suffering from this neverending (winter) problem?

Matt

Nath
09-11-05, 07:55 PM
never had it at all on any of my novas with carbs tbh

probert_nova
09-11-05, 08:20 PM
was driving back from college in gales etc and mine conked out at a junction and sounded like it was strugling but i kept the revs up then.this a regular thing in winter for carbs? my first winter with the sr.

Jack
09-11-05, 11:25 PM
Only had this on my hatch, with the K&N. The saloon was fine

Heh reminds me when the thermostat went on the hatch, had to put a makeshift heatshield across the vents in the grille & bumper out of duct tape :lol:

Ste L
09-11-05, 11:52 PM
the joys of having injection 8)

ANDYRACER
10-11-05, 12:05 AM
Doesnt it only do it if u have a Knn pancake filter? or does it do it even with the standard filter?

novamadcars
10-11-05, 12:12 AM
andyracer why havent you been on msn lately mate?

ANDYRACER
10-11-05, 12:34 AM
My msn is nakerd :cry:

Adam
10-11-05, 12:38 AM
Soo so true :lol:

MattNova-What engine is it? 1.2carb with manual choke? could just be a choke problem.

Andy-Get MSN sorted, i need a word :wink: :lol:

MattNova
10-11-05, 08:03 AM
Soo so true :lol:

MattNova-What engine is it? 1.2carb with manual choke? could just be a choke problem.

Andy-Get MSN sorted, i need a word :wink: :lol:

its a 1.2 merit Manual choke. the problem only occurs when ive got my K&N (pancake) on, i usually put the standard air box back on for the winter, but in the next month or so (hopefully) i will have all the parts i need for the fitting of my 32/34. once this has been done the choice to put the standard air box back on will not be an option :( but i guess for somethings you have got to make sacrifices.
but as probert_nova said, if you keep the revs on at all junctions (can be a pain) then it doesnt conk out.
jus a bit of a bugger tbh.
also i dont hink that its a choke as when i put the std air box back on i dont have any problems, but that does feed some hot air off the manifold up to the carb. ive heard bout K&N eater kits, but tbh i cant be arsed to buy something that i dont need, when i can (put up) do without it.

orange_andy
10-11-05, 03:04 PM
i just got a 1.4 sr, im havin problems either getin used to the choke or it isnt right, i turn me car on in the mornin it will stall if u dont hold the revs at 1k for a bit well more than a bit then i go round the block to make sure the cars warm then its fine, if urs is cuttn out while ur already drivn then there is deffo sumit wrong i think, anyone got advise on choke mines like this.

start car, hold revs about 500 pull the choke as far as i can i keep hold of it then let it go to half way on its own while on 1k to make sure i dont stall, then i drive off then put choke in,

i have found i think if i pull it out for to long it floods the engine coz it cut out on me about 1 min once i had to stop an cudnt rev the car as i was breakin,

but i av also found its fucn rock hard n awkward to hold it about 500 an play with the choke as im not exactly to sure wot i shud b doing,,

advise needed apart from the choke i love the car

Riggy
10-11-05, 05:10 PM
a 1.4 sr should have an autochoke mate

has it had a manual conversion done

Mike
10-11-05, 05:45 PM
happened to me twice at sets of traffic lights! pain in the @rse it is!

i got the standard airbox an it still happens but only in torrentail rain! what a b@stard :evil:

orange_andy
10-11-05, 11:52 PM
yea its had a manual conversion is tha auto alot better ???? mayb i shud go back to auto ??? how much wud that be,, kinda getin used to it now i THINK but still stall when settn off first thing in the morn if i stop straight away,, or do u have to let the car warm up for about 5 mins or wot

probert_nova
10-11-05, 11:55 PM
yeah don't just drive off straight away else you'll just kangaroo up the road. need to let the engine warm up. durin this time i put my gloves and wooly hat on coz me heater don't work. :( :lol:

MattNova
11-11-05, 08:00 AM
what i do is pull the choke out about an inch (not all the way). when i pull off i put it in bout 5-10mm. then when the heater is blowing warm/ hot air i push it in all of the way.

when isaid it cuts out while im driving, i ment that whe i get to junctions it cuts out, not when im driing down the road, lol.

its just something that you have to get used to, this mornign it wasn't bad at all, wel if fact it was like it was summer to my car, lol, did not even try to cut out once :D it only does it when its realy cold. just get used to keeping them revs on and all will be fine :)

orange_andy
11-11-05, 09:35 AM
im getting used to it aswell mate,, now on a morning, get in start car pull choke as far as it comes out, hold it for about 5 seconds while keepn revs above 500 which is hard coz it jus goes up n down on its own, stall mebbies once,, then while holdin it on 1k as i put the choke in half way it auto goes to like 1500 revs so the engine is workn, try holdn the revs see if the car is gonna tick over without stalln then i jus drive off round the block by the time i come to a junction its fine so just put the choke in,, i think its a fine line, pullin it out to far, or not enuff,

i think mebbi i need to sort my choke, as if i turn the car on and leave the choke where it stops, (half way) then itl jus stall it doesnt tick over, isnt it menna jus tick over without any revs when u first start, kinda getin used to it but jus a pain in the arse an if i stop for a few hours i jus hope i dont stall or flood the engine,

(jesus wot a life story i jus wrote)

orange_andy
11-11-05, 02:03 PM
i cant do that tho coz if i aint on the revs it seems to stall with the choke out at the level it sticks at,
is there any other trix u can use to either warm it up quicker or faster, if only i cud give it a cup of hot coffee, or maybe :lol: lol

probert_nova
11-11-05, 03:27 PM
you know when you've started the car and the choke is out. you don't leave it out do you? this'll just flood the engine and cause it to stall. as soon as the revs calm down you have to push the choke back in fully. i'd say the chocke should only be out for about 15 seconds.