PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 8v astra engine,,,, TB's

Martin
08-11-05, 06:05 PM
is it possiable to get them or am i being silly??

Cheers

mad-driver
08-11-05, 09:13 PM
If its a carb 1400 8v you'd be looking at getting a pair of carbs not TBs

Adam
09-11-05, 12:11 AM
I dont think TBs would work very well on a 8v engine, IIRC something to do with the inlet airflow not being enough.
As Sam said probably better with carbs on a 8v engine.

S_Gault
09-11-05, 04:48 PM
yes it is possible.

and it is more benefical than carbs.

45tbi s on a racer , 40tbi on road one

Martin
09-11-05, 05:43 PM
ok cheers wer would i go about geting em a set?

Stuart
09-11-05, 06:57 PM
www.jenvey.co.uk

but to be fair the engine you'd need to build to run the car "properly" you will need to spend a total mint on it lol

the carbs is a much "easier" job, but go for the TB's if you like, ive seen a 1.6 8V on TB's but it wasnt much cop till 5K ish.

you will need aftermarket mappable management, coil pack, TB's T40 inlet manifold and lots of time/money/effort ;)

a fun cam would help lots too. oh and bin the 1.4 carb/spi head and get the 1.4 mpi one for "cheap" gains

Martin
09-11-05, 08:12 PM
ok cheers m8, you no ant places that will sell all of the stuff i need and money and time isnt a problem :)

Stuart
09-11-05, 08:26 PM
www.jenvey.co.uk
www.dtafast.co.uk
look at mbe too

there is also a setup from south africa thats come out but i cant for the life of me remember the name of them lmao, but they do an all inclusive price inc RR sesh..

SBD can supply all you need, but you will be screwed in the ass at the cost.

Martin
09-11-05, 09:24 PM
ok cheers could i still superchip it or would dat be watse of time?

Martin
09-11-05, 09:33 PM
i was just wondering because i may be geting a 1.4 8v astra engine and its already got a superchip and polished cams, air filter n full exhaust system,, and if i was to get it i would like to get as much power out of it as possiable but also be reliable lol :lol:

Stuart
09-11-05, 09:39 PM
oh dear god.....

you do know what individual throttle bodies are dont you?.... (no offence)
and that you need aftermarket engine management to run it.

eg throw away you silly "super chip" (all it really did was raise the rev limit and bung in more fuel, with no real spark advance) and the ecu. and the intake system as a whole.

define polished cam.... thats a fairly new one to me

in all honesty do you know exactly what you want from this engine that youve not even purchased yet?

dont mean to sound rude etc in this post but it just appears that your not 100% on what youve got/after

Snowface
09-11-05, 10:46 PM
can you get direct to head tb's for 8v heads? (mpi)

Martin
10-11-05, 05:45 PM
wel i sort of do ... the guy sed its got polished cams on it,,,,, n yeh i want as plenty of pullin power but with still a good top end,,, because its all short roads around my area soo thers no real point in havin all top end speed is ther???

And am sorry am not really that good wen it comes to engines :oops:

Nick
10-11-05, 06:14 PM
i'd stick to a set of carbs..... to gain performance from a camshaft upgrade, the cams need to have a higher lift, polishing will really do feck all.

Are you sure he didn't say "polished crankshaft ?" as that would start to make a slight bit of sense

Martin
10-11-05, 08:06 PM
he might of sed that i dunno tho,... all am sayin is i want some help on what to get and where from... i want loads off aceleration but i a nice top speed

Thanz for all your input guys 8)

Stuart
10-11-05, 10:11 PM
simple + cheap power from the 1.4

get a 1.4 sri (mpi) head. get a T40 inlet for a 1.6gte/gsi engine. get a pair of weber/dellorto T40's. get a kent AST2 cam. add ARP rod bolts and you "should" with a good setup see approx 110bhp(maybe more) and decent torque etc. see bejis feature for more info as this is more or less what he ran in his old engine.

to make it feel nippier fit an F13/10 CR gear cluster to your gearbox with a 4.18 final drive (see guide in tech guides). top speed will be "limited" to approx 120ish but youll get there fast enough to keep you happy

Martin
11-11-05, 10:29 AM
ok cheers fellas :D