PDA

View Full Version : cracks in engine bay

polly
07-11-05, 10:06 PM
there are splits apearing in the valance of my nova in the same place at both sides about half an inch in front of the turrets where it curves up to meet the wing what can i do to stop this from happening again im going to weld them but i am unsure whether to weld in a plate over it also for strength any ideas ?????

mikey14sr
07-11-05, 10:12 PM
sounds like thats in the usual spot where rust is a problem, probs best to plate up from underneath.

Mike
08-11-05, 09:35 AM
playe it from both sides. you'll have to remocve the washer bottle for better acess but thats a pice of pish anyway,

jack it up an take on wheel of the buggered side of your car, hen weld it all up

Stuart
08-11-05, 11:09 AM
Id be inclined to drill stop the crack before plating it etc.

Mike
08-11-05, 12:55 PM
drill stop? wtf? :|

Stoo
08-11-05, 12:56 PM
Drill a small hole through each end of a crack, this stops it progressing further!

Stuart
08-11-05, 12:58 PM
even if you weld the crack up, then plate it, the crack can still propogate (continue) along its path. If you drill each end of the crack you put a round hole (obv) at the end which will stop the cracks travel. Then you weld up and plate etc.

its all about stresses etc. They do it a lot on aircraft wings when they develop cracks (but without the welding and plating)

Stoo
08-11-05, 01:03 PM
ITs not just the wings bud! Im on heipopters and we do it everywhere!! most of the time we can cut the crack out and replace with a new panel!

Mike
08-11-05, 01:37 PM
^^ didnt know that??

never heard of that drill stop melarky and im a qaulified engineer aswell! :oops:

Stoo
08-11-05, 01:41 PM
^^ didnt know that??

never heard of that drill stop melarky and im a qaulified engineer aswell! :oops:

Oh dear oh dear! lol

Stuart
08-11-05, 01:58 PM
most "qualified" engineers shy away from drill stopping lol. but when you ahve to get a vehicle moving again its perfectly fine for the techie to drill stop etc ;)

Stoo
08-11-05, 02:05 PM
most "qualified" engineers shy away from drill stopping lol. but when you ahve to get a vehicle moving again its perfectly fine for the techie to drill stop etc ;)

Or when u have to get a battlefield helipopter flying!!

sickrabbit
08-11-05, 05:41 PM
I spoke to a mate , whos a mechanic and mot guy a month or so back as I,d a few rust problems in the engine bay / slam panel that worried me .....seems as tho these little motors suffer heavily in the area , you describe and the battery compartment . Its the first real major place most mot,s look at for failure on structure . I dont mean to scare you ,but its certainly worth getting a grease monkey or welder of good standing to have a peep on this issue ....I wish you all the best......

Donova
08-11-05, 09:57 PM
Mine,s just failed on a hole behind the nearside turret, plus a couple of other places, the f***ing rust is like "THE CREEPING DEATH" 0X !

sickrabbit
09-11-05, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear it mate....I agree , the engines seem to live forever but the body , just cant hack it - rust is a real pain. Once it starts theres no getting rid.
Good luck.

tony8169
09-11-05, 11:05 PM
in the RAF its called stop drilling, it relieves the stresses produced in the end if the crack, its a very common process carried out on any part of the aircraft where high stresses are known to exist.
i carry out stop drilling alot.
i dont know of any 'qualified engineers' who shy away from this, and i know about 300, who i work with!
Cheers,
Tony.

P.S. whats a battlefield helicopter? you must be a benson bitch?

Stoo
09-11-05, 11:10 PM
Benson Bitch!!

How dare You!! Im an Odiham Whore!!

Donova
10-11-05, 08:22 PM
cheers sickrabbit going to weld it up next week, had a poke about and found some bits the m.o.t demon missed! so hopefully he,ll be well impressed :roll: