PDA

View Full Version : removing engines

Mike.
06-11-05, 06:30 PM
right i've got a new engine to go in my 1.2, whats the best way of removing the engine, would it be easier to lift the shell, and lower the engine, box and drive shafts on the floor, or would it be easier to remove the drive shafts completely and hoist out the engine over the shell ?.

Iff i have to remove the drive shafts how are they connected, and whats the easiest way of removing them?.

cheers mike

burgo
06-11-05, 07:01 PM
right i've got a new engine to go in my 1.2, whats the best way of removing the engine, would it be easier to lift the shell, and lower the engine, box and drive shafts on the floor=yes

Iff i have to remove the drive shafts how are they connected, and whats the easiest way of removing them?. 30mm nut on hub end. just push into the box, use a big screwdriver or chisle to get them out.

cheers burgo

Philsutton
06-11-05, 07:08 PM
best off to drop it all underneath ect... Half the time the shafts should just pull out of the box

Dar
06-11-05, 07:11 PM
I removed my drive shafts from the box by just disconnecting the bottom ball-joint, which disconnects the TCA and tie-rod(All held on with just to bolts). Then just pull them out with a short sharp tug whilst holding on to the hub. The transmission fluid will come out so make sure you have a tray underneath.

Mike.
06-11-05, 07:24 PM
cheers guys

Mike
07-11-05, 04:16 PM
i favour lifting the shell over the engine? but when you pull the shafts out, be carefull not crack yourself in the nuts with them! oh it hurts! :cry: :| :lol:

Jon_nova1
07-11-05, 09:38 PM
Can't say i've ever hurt my nuts on my shaft when i've been pulling it out :lol:

Stuart
07-11-05, 10:06 PM
do it the mans way, out of the top! lol

Mike
08-11-05, 09:37 AM
over the top is full in DIY conversion way!

me and a mate were doing a GSi convo in the snow back in Jan, sitting on the floor pulling out the shafts, then it just popped out! right in his ballocks! :lol:

broster
08-11-05, 09:41 AM
i found lifting out the top pretty easy. but when i was removign the drive shafts one hit my in the eye. painful!

Jon_nova1
08-11-05, 10:12 AM
Are we all talking about engines here? :?

novaco
08-11-05, 02:46 PM
if you pull your shaft to hard you sometimes fall backwards and that can hurt!! :lol: :lol: