PDA

View Full Version : XE Mods??

C-S_Cormac
06-11-05, 04:29 PM
Rite well guys i have a 1990 Mrk2 astra GTE 16v, as far as i know its not a coscast head, Im looking to do a little tuning to the engine over the winter months, a wee project i suppose..

I have been thinking that a superchip/set of highlift cams and some porting of the head would be a good start? Could anyone guide me to which chip would be good as i havent researched the topic or know much about them? also the cams aswell?

or any other mods which this engine would benefit from..

thanks..

Aragorn
06-11-05, 11:35 PM
im sure the chips are pretty much a waste of time as they are far too generic to be of any use

cams are a possiblity but u generally wont be able to go very far before either the standard management starts acting up or u hit valve clearance issues

head porting is a good idea yes, but will cost you over 400quid i'd imagine

that lot youve suggested would see you at about ?1500 spent, it would seem to me a more sensible approach would be to buy a throttlebody kit and get it fitted and mapped, then when u want to fit cams or do headwork youve got a much more solid base to start from

plus the gains from fitting TB's will be far greater than the gains from chipping and and fitting some cams

srs1
06-11-05, 11:49 PM
get your pistons out and have them machined down for deep pocketed pistons.
this will allow you to take any cam you want.

then get some con rod arp bolts fitted.
dont forget to counter sink them.

next i would say, polished and ported head, again. get a well known machineist to do this.

next. i would say, dif. it makes more sense then you think.

once these are done. you'll have a pokey xe with a fairly good fuel consumption rate.

if money is no issue, carbs or tb's next

C-S_Cormac
07-11-05, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replys guys..

Ive another project on the go (nova 2L 8v) which i want to get finished for early nxt year, so bascily the funds are short,

Ive been told by a fair few ppl an SBD eshaust manifold and power cap would be a good start to make, also an induction kit as it currently runs a standard filter and airbox, In my experence a replacment panel element is as good as induction kits, you seem too pay a fortune for them and all you get in return is an induction noise (induction kit that is)

would a power boost valve be a good addition too? the car has a few flat spots wen reving between 2l--3.5k ive been told this could cure that...

cheers again

S_Gault
07-11-05, 03:40 PM
gimme a ring cormac and i'll point out the things that work and those that are pub talk, altohugh the above have started in right direction.

the cam thing especially- youcant put good cams in these engines AND time them right without pocketing pistons.