PDA

View Full Version : Matching carbs

mad-driver
06-11-05, 11:32 AM
How do you tell if two carbs are a matching pair? I knew sort of about this but now i understand they have to be a matching pair to work properly

Can anyone tell me how to recognise a matched pair ie numbers on carbs etc?

Cheers
Sam

Adam
06-11-05, 07:12 PM
Look at the numbers on the carbs.

IIRC they DONT have to be a matching pair, they will work fine if they aint. But with a matching pair you know that both carbs were made at the same time etc.

I guess if you had one carb that was a lot newer than the other carb, it could function better maybe? Linkage might be more freely moving, giving different fueling to the other carb?
That might be a load of s**t/\ but it makes sense to me.
Its best to rebuild the carbs before you fit them anyway.

burgo
06-11-05, 07:29 PM
as long as jets and everything are the same and they are same model then they should be ok

nathan.
06-11-05, 09:40 PM
IIRC the internal circuits are different. Also, by not matching the numbers you could be getting 2 carbs that are totally the different age. ie. one being more worn/used than the other. Best off getting a matching pair IMO

Aragorn
06-11-05, 11:32 PM
im sure they can be different

nova sports had one 40DCOE151 and one 40DCOE152 fitted as standard iirc

benji
07-11-05, 08:35 AM
i don't know about webbers but with dellortos you need the right prefix after the dhla part, all the different letter are a different type of carb, not just the age. mine are 'h' which are an emmissions type carb from a 2.0l alfa. this means the progression is governed by a series of holes drilled in the carb body. if you run a pair that don't match then the will run like crap untill it has cleared the progression phase(fine at full throttle though.)

S_Gault
07-11-05, 03:44 PM
nova sports were not 151.. and 152.

a 151 is a brand new spec 40, a 152 is a 45!!!!

nova sports were 31 series and have vacuum take offs etc.

sometime a matching set is consecutitve numbers- 34/35 - those are 1600ti sunbeam for example.

And you MUST have a matching set, otherwise the progression holes will be in different places and it'll run f all untill its well onto the mainjet

mikey14sr
07-11-05, 07:11 PM
Sport webers should be DCOE144(drivers side) and DCOE143(passenger side), They were a matched pair due to being designed to run with the vacum advance system.

S_Gault
07-11-05, 10:00 PM
you are correct my man.. but 143 should be on drivers side

Aragorn
08-11-05, 08:46 PM
lol i was close enough and point still stands, they dont specifically have to match, youve now given 2 examples of consecutive numberings that were on standard cars

nathan.
08-11-05, 08:54 PM
They do have to be matching.
143/144 are matched.

lets say 18 / 143 arn't matched.

although the numbers don't have to be the same, they have to be within the same series.

mad-driver
08-11-05, 09:12 PM
They do have to be matching.
143/144 are matched.

lets say 18 / 143 arn't matched.

although the numbers don't have to be the same, they have to be within the same series.

Thats what i thought Nathan, wasnt sure but i assumed two consecutive numbers to be a matching pair, and as you say a Non matchin pair to be a random number etc

Anyway thanks guys, should get my head back at the weekend along with the GTE cam thats going in, cheers Baxter :wink: