PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Wheels!!

Spudly
05-11-05, 06:56 PM
After fittin a set of alessio`s on me nov me front end has started wandering all over the rd sometimes to a quite scary degree, i used to have a set of cavvy GSi alloys and the handling was fine with those on all the tyres r mint and it only started after fitting em, so heres my question: they came off my mates SRi and when we swapped em over (they nigh on brand new he fitted them just before he took his car off the road for a few yrs) there was a 5mil spacer plate on the front wheels which we swapped over as well if my nov shouldnt have this spacer would it have widened the track at the front and could this plate be causing the wandering steering???

Its an K-reg 1.2merit plus with an xe pls help peeps,
me bushes seem fine as the wheel dont move when rocked in all directions with the front jacked up!!!

Rich
05-11-05, 08:10 PM
If the offset is et49 you wont need the spacers.

probert_nova
05-11-05, 08:16 PM
have you had the car tracked since fittin the wheels? after fittin mine the steerin was liked you described but gettin it tracked cured the problem.

Spudly
06-11-05, 01:58 AM
If the offset is et49 you wont need the spacers.

Sh!t how daft am i lol i never even thought of that, right well the spacers r comin off 2moro then an ill try gettin it tracked up nxt week at work cheers peeps!!!

Dar
06-11-05, 06:04 PM
Also check that the tierods are nice and tight. If they arnt then the front wheels will be able to move back and forth causing it to wander. If its this it will be most noticalbe when accelerating and breaking.

Spudly
07-11-05, 07:01 PM
Ill check the tie-rods when i change the bottom arms an ball-joints, got some new ones kicking about in me boot somewhere so im gonna throw em on, i took out the spacer from the front wheels yesterday and the handling is miles better only prob now is me centre caps dont fit on now cos of the drive shafts so i need em machinin out i reckon, cheers for the advice peeps much appreciated!!!!