PDA

View Full Version : XE-> changing starter motor?

RobWeaver
05-11-05, 03:42 PM
what is or are the best ways of getting up/down to the starter motor? its buried in coolant pipes! lol and how much will i have my wallet relieved of for a 2nd hand jobbie from a breakers? mine expired today IN TOWN :evil:

RobWeaver
05-11-05, 06:21 PM
ok....well changing it looks easy as pie....but does anyone know if i can use a starter off any other vauxhalls? xes are gold dust in the breakers yards

dan23
05-11-05, 07:00 PM
my mate once had a cav 1.8 no other cav starters would fit so i think u need 2 get an xe 1u could ring vaux 2 check but i am 90% sure

RobWeaver
08-11-05, 07:55 PM
well the motor is undone its just proving a pain in the neck to get out lol...any ideas on if other starters are the same??

Riggy
08-11-05, 11:45 PM
big block starters should be the same

go find a vaux with an f16 or f20 for deff and they will fit

RobWeaver
10-11-05, 11:00 PM
rite i am bk!!! i took starter motor out, and it wasnt the same as another astra one, so i got a cally item,thing is, the starter whirrs n whines ok when just wired up straight to a battery,so i tried reconnecting and still the ignition when u try to turn it over just goes CLICK...so i am not trying the cally item tomorrow, however i doubt it is the starter now, the one i removed was a spanker, dated --/10/05 lol i am now pointing my fingers at the battery? does this sound fair? i tried starting car with jumpleads on but to no avail...i am going through process of elimination, please help me eliminate lol

Stoo
10-11-05, 11:07 PM
Sounds like battery but if no joy with jumpleads im stumped!!

Checked all your earths????

fearless
10-11-05, 11:10 PM
Check your earth points - especially the braided earth strap on the end of the gearbox (n/s chassis leg) !!!!

Dave

muzzy
10-11-05, 11:11 PM
try giving your earths a clean sometimes when they get dirty totally screws things up, try a new battery as well could be totally buggered.

RobWeaver
11-11-05, 04:28 PM
well i fitted the cally starter motor on and it seems to start better than it ever did lol! seems odd though, nice new starter packing in so soon :( not got reciept for it though grrrr!

Car will be out and about again as of tomoro, quick tidy of some wires i didnt like and wash the machine et voila, the red rockets out again :) cheers for the help guys, sorry bout being an impatient mofo :oops: