PDA

View Full Version : HELP! BT 205 Voyage router problems

ade
04-11-05, 09:21 PM
Please can anyone help (please bare with the length of email)

I have broadband and the above router which is fine on my home computer (except its plugged into it via usb coz I dont have an ethernet socket - yet)

Anyway - my wife has an ibm laptop and needs to work from home - so needs to log into her works intranet via the above router.

She uses a little program called GEOLINK2 which and needs to enter an electronic token that changes every 30 seconds or so. It connects to a vpn server and shows two different ip addresses.

Shes having MAJOR problems!

She can log in using the standard dial up connection fine but obviously this is painfully slow and we get charged.

We installed the bt software on the laptop but couldnt log in. Kept getting a firewall error messgage

We discovered that if we unticked the LAN settings box that is currently set to point to the following address - xy.diageo.com to port 80 (her intranet) we could access the internet fine. But still couldnt access her works intranet. Theres also another box ticked below this one saying something about bypassing the proxy etc etc...??

Her IT boffins say we needed to disable the routers firewall - which we did today but are still unable to log in. The error message says that we are still behind a firewall. (remember she can log in fine via standard dial up).

Does anyone know how to sort this?

Someone mentioned we need to point the router toher server at work using port forwerding (what ever that is) - the port she uses is 80.

If we did this could I still use the router for the internet on my home machine or does it need resetting?

ALSO - she cant use ethernet on her lap top with it - even though she has ethernet socket. It says theres no newtwork connection. Anyone know how to rectify this?

Any help appreciated

Ade

Jack
04-11-05, 10:51 PM
If its windows XP have you tried disabling the XP firewall as well?

IIRC port forwarding is only really used on routers that serve more than one pc - for example my router downstairs serves both my pc and my dads. I use Emule, and tell the router to forward traffic on the emule ports to my pc's ip address. Its just so the router knows where to send particular data received from the internet.

But don't take my word as gospel as I'm crap with networking but hey ho :p

ade
04-11-05, 10:55 PM
its not the pc's firewall (its a laptop). She can log in via the standard slowwwww dial up connection.

It must be the router.

:roll:

bump
06-11-05, 06:53 PM
it's a difficult one to solve straight up. as i see it you have

missus laptop ----> router ---->internet ----> work firewall

correct?
if she can get in using dial up then it suggests that there is no port forwarding on your router allowing the information from her work to reach your machine.

check out what ports you need open from her work IT geeks. also is it a VPN connection?