PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy Cap Problem (Car Not Starting!)

Chris@Mcfc
04-11-05, 06:21 PM
My car has been difficult to start recently (1.4Sr). Damp was the problem, so sometimes it would take a spray of Wd 40 onto the leads or whatever etc to get it going. Got a new dizzy cap anyway to see if this would solve this problem and went about fitting it earlier. I didnt do it right first time (the little black thing to stop condensation wasnt in right). In doing this i broke the black thing, only a tiny bit though. The plastic is all still intact, it's not really broke i think. The plastic is just easy to fold over. It's hard to explain really. Why wont it run with a slight crack in that? It's onlt to stop condensation, right? I tried getting a new one (Vauxhall etc), but they dont keep them anymore. They can order one, but means i dont have a car until Wednesday. Could try getting a second hand one, but im working all day tomorrow so cant really make it to scrap yards etc.

Do you think that this is the problem why it wont start? I would of thought it would run without it really? Or is it that important? Im getting a spark, and all the leads are deffo connected into the right places. Anyone had experience of simular problems?

Last of all, will all the plastic part, Part number (1230500139) be the same on 1.2's/1.3's/1.4's? Same distributor isnt it?

Cheers If Anyone Can Help Me On This..

Wish i hadn't bothered trying to replace it tonight now, would be running fine! :(

Adam
04-11-05, 10:45 PM
Wish i hadn't bothered trying to replace it tonight now, would be running fine! :(
Dont fix what aint broke, i always regret trying to "fix" something that dont need fixing, lol.

The distributors are not the same so you will need the correct cap for yours, just remember what colour the cap is and tell the motorfactors bloke.

But if your getting a strong spark then i cant seeing it being that, is it firing?
Or just turning over and not firing?

sickrabbit
04-11-05, 11:37 PM
check the rotor arms still intact...if you go for a dizzy cap get a new rotor as well...halfrauds do em....

Chris@Mcfc
05-11-05, 07:42 AM
Cheers Lads..

Yeh Its just turning over, not firing really..

Im gonna replace the rotor arm later and see if that does the trick, maybe it's that that is damaged!

:D

Chris@Mcfc
05-11-05, 05:53 PM
New Leads Sorted It Out.. Fucked The Plastic Thing Off Thats Behind The Rotar Arm, No Need For It!

New Dizzy And Rotar Arm 2, So It's Running Sweet..

Thanks For The Replys :lol: