PDA

View Full Version : Hello

novapearl
03-11-05, 01:35 PM
Hello all. New to this board. Just a quick introduction to my car:

G' reg Nova Pearl Saloon 1.3 (bet thats put you all of already)
Still all as standard, normal 5 speed box, standard alloy wheels, everything as factory... 43000 miles only

Until i got it. The radio was bust so its come out and theres a Pioneer 6 Cd changer going in. And some damn person has snapped the top of the aerial before i bought it and bent the remainder into a twangy z shape.
Good job I didn't see 'em. GRRR -so need one of them as well (any1?)

Just a quick thing - this is the standard 1.3 engine - the choke seems to stick OFF. Yes thats a pain. Won't idle when cold without a foot on the throttle... Twin choke carb i think - pierburg jobbie...

Am an apprentice mechanic so wondering if theres anything that can be tweaked to improve this.

Now Vectra, Astras, Omega, Frontera I can fix - but there all injected. Any help with the carb appreciated - could it just be stale fuel (cars been off the road 8 months put fresh in to start it then but may have gone off by now?)

Cheers
Adam

Col_Mk1
03-11-05, 01:39 PM
hi

F188CHG
03-11-05, 02:14 PM
Hi,Saloons are ok :wink: post some pics :o

Give it some rev
03-11-05, 02:19 PM
hiya, nothing wrong with saloon nova's in my opinion.
dont know about the carb, probably coz its been stood a while

chris

Mitchybee
03-11-05, 02:29 PM
hi and welcome to the forum.

get som piccies up

ANDYRACER
03-11-05, 02:53 PM
Saloons arent that bad if modded correctly. My old sr used to do the same, spray some carb cleaner into the engine and give it good rev, if it still does it, it means the idle needs adjusting will be a screw near the carb that will adjust it.

Oh and welcome 8)

novapearl
03-11-05, 03:00 PM
Yeah but what to change...

Good tune up first and sort that carb. Oh yeah and the rusty wheelarches - Halfords spray paint section here i come.. can't either afford or justify a proper respray (shame but hey).

Have had a poke around & found no serious rust, been through brakes, seem ok.

Regarding paint - all the V5 says is grey (seems metallic to me) any - if i get the paint code off the VIN should be able to get a decent match from Halfords shouldn't i?

Don't want it to look like a right shed!

BTW what the difference between the standard 1.3 and the SR? Anything mechanical or is it all down to tuning?

Adam - shall post pic soon...

F188CHG
03-11-05, 03:38 PM
The good thing about saloons/coupe's is sall changes can make a big impact and look realy good

Alloys
Springs
Mono wiper

I think this members looks mint :wink:

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/1054big.jpg

Adam
03-11-05, 03:53 PM
Welcome to Novaload.

sickrabbit
03-11-05, 04:02 PM
Mate - welcome to medication time !!
The paint you speak of ....from experience , get yourself to a reliable paintshop who,ll colour match your motor using both the code , and also inspecting and checking for a match using a paint chart indicator -it,ll mean having to take the car to the paintshop , but if its a good supplier , the shop owner will check the colour for as near as possible mixing - dont forgret the existing paint will have faded - Halfords paint will PROBABLY show the cars age......
A real good tip - never spray onto a hot or cold panel. Warm the area to be sprayed with a hairdryer , if its a bit chilly , and probably the best advise is stand the aerosol tin of paint in a bucket of warm water before spraying for 10 mins - it keeps the tins pressure more positive ,thus helping for an even coat of paint......

good luck.

Mike
03-11-05, 04:12 PM
Hi there :D

Ste L
03-11-05, 04:41 PM
alright mate, welcome,

what type of saloon is it, 3 or 5 door?

also, any pics of it

novamadcars
03-11-05, 09:28 PM
hi and welcome 2 novaload and get some pics up of your car mate

Riggy
03-11-05, 09:32 PM
welcome to NL mate :lol:

as for the carb probleam , if its the peirburg 2e3 carb it will most prob be the auto choke as these are known for fucking up

leemh1234
03-11-05, 09:53 PM
go to

http://www.feoc-uk.com

buy a ford and join one of the best online sites cuz this is a shit site unless u like the piss ripped out of ya

Jack
04-11-05, 04:45 PM
^^ If you buy a ford then expect to get the piss ripped out of you even more :lol:

Welcome to NL. Nowt wrong with saloons, ignore the hatch boys - they're all jealous :wink:

Ste L
04-11-05, 04:47 PM
im a hatch boy, got nothing wrong with saloons, would actually mind one, if it was a 3 door

hendrix
04-11-05, 05:51 PM
boohoo :lol:

leemh1234
04-11-05, 08:45 PM
welcome to nl enjoy the pi** being ripped out of ya if u aint spent 2-50 grand on it

hendrix
04-11-05, 09:59 PM
again boohoo :lol:

novapearl
08-11-05, 09:10 PM
Ah well yeah - its a four door saloon - ugly as sin say some people, but hey I don't care... Better than a FIESTA or a PUG 205 (in my opinion).

Anyway - regarding the paint - went to Halfords _ reply was sorry mate ain't got that - go to the dealer...

AGGGHHH - our local dealer has NOT got a good reputation.... Anyway Saturday morning I went in. The chap on the parts counter was the van driver who delivers all the parts to the garage where i work.

Hmm - he says - Yep can still get that. Do you want spray can or touch up?

Seems I looked shocked at this, even more at the price - under ?8 for a can of spray paint... Its on order - will let you know how i get on with it.

As regards the carb, i had a decent secondhand one on a bit back - got invoice - Reckon it wants can of carb cleaner in tank, new fuel filter and a good thrash to clear all the crap out carb and water out of exhaust.

As regards spending 2-50 grand...

Is bringing the whole car in at under ?250 including purchase, MOT and repairs possible? I'm going to try!

burgo
08-11-05, 10:10 PM
im a cock sucking whore

im happy for ya

anyway tut tut mechanics these days are lost without there puters that you can plug in and find the fault, i remember one apprentice at my old place didnt even know what a jet was lol.

anywho welcome to the site and get some pics up

novapearl
17-11-05, 09:14 AM
We don't all need a computer to tell us whats wrong. Have already rebuilt a zenith carb for a 1970's four litre straight six truck engine. Only a simple fixed jet jobby but its a start. Accelerator plunger was jammed and some idiot had glued the carb together with instant gasket, after fitting the float upside down! It even had 'TOP' stamped on it! Some people shouldn't be allowed a car!

The reason tech people now need a computer is that they shove a load of cr#p on new cars. Cam and crank sensors and all that sort of stuff. The fault codes are not always right anyway. You need experience to interpret them.. often down to a split vacum pipe or knackered wire. The sort of thing that takes ages to find the first time and the 30 seconds then next time.

Anyway the Nova runs better with a gallon of fresh petrol in it. And a fiddle with the choke - so much better. Probably the petrol was stale...

Just that evil CV joint to get off now... Damn springy interneal clip thingy..

orange_andy
17-11-05, 09:29 AM
well i must be the only one who isnt crazy ?? peugot 205 anyday then just drop a gti in it, im sorry to say but a nova saloon is AWFULL from the ones iv seen,, theres an insentive for you, prove me wrong and make it a BEAST! ! ! if there is such a thing :S

get some pics on the site mate,

novapearl
17-11-05, 09:39 AM
Do I hear a challenge coming on here...

Don't get me started....

orange_andy
17-11-05, 10:20 AM
its a challenge, get some pics aswell for it, although if i was you id quite already (my opinion) you got it cheap, but the ammount you are gonna spend by deciding to mod the engine by the time you get it lowered or buy alloys you could have bought a very good condition hatchbag with all that stuff already on, but hey THE CHALLENGE IS THE FOR YOU

MattNova
17-11-05, 01:22 PM
HI there, welcome to NL

rudeboy69r
17-11-05, 04:33 PM
welcome to NOVALOAD. and theres nothing rong with saloons!

orange_andy
17-11-05, 06:12 PM
apart from its the worst looking car ever and its old and its JUST THE WORST LOOKING CAR EVER, id skit someone who modded a big rover saloon BUT A NOVA SALOON hmmmmm :) all i can say is id rather get a years bus tiket than drive that

Jack
17-11-05, 06:23 PM
apart from its the worst looking car ever
No, this is:

http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/news/archive/fiat/2000/images/fiat_multipla_addons.jpg

I prefer saloons to the hatches tbh... mainly because they're not a hatchback lol

Col_Mk1
17-11-05, 06:36 PM
apart from its the worst looking car ever
No, this is:

http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/news/archive/fiat/2000/images/fiat_multipla_addons.jpg

I prefer saloons to the hatches tbh... mainly because they're not a hatchback lol

everytime see them just want to smash them up :twisted:

Mike.
17-11-05, 06:40 PM
i like nova saloons, i want one lol, i've always wanted to do a touring car style saloon, no body kits just stripped out and a big engine.

ohh and welcome to the site

Jack
17-11-05, 06:48 PM
I had one, 2dr H reg in Mexico Red with mk2 GSi dash and a nice black interior, only rust was cosmetic on the rear arch..... and I stupidly sold the thing for ?300 :(

orange_andy
17-11-05, 09:45 PM
you could quite easily go down the road and buy another one from marge and ted down the road for about 50pound AWFULL ! ! maybe civic saloons calibras all look good together,, then you got saxos corsas and novas novas still fit in, BUT NOT CIVIC CALIBRA NOVA SALOON haha you would be the laughn stock of the country

Jack
17-11-05, 09:49 PM
Why are you comparing a nova to a Calibra? Because it has a boot? pmsl :lol:

I'll stick with what I've got thanks. It has a little bit of a boot lol

novapearl
19-11-05, 05:46 PM
Yeah get a years bus ticket?

From where to where - out 'ere in the wilds of lincolnshire we ain't got no buses!!!

And trains - ahahahah. Yeah fine if you wanna wait two hours between connections in the middle of nowhere!

All right for you people who live in towns & cities!

Grr - don't get me mad. I spend all day every workin day fixin other peoples cars. Sometimes the last fing you want to do is go out in the garage in the freezing cold (forgot to get gas for Super Ser heater) and fiddle with your own car.

Ah for Nova saloons being ugly, personally i hate the cack handed modified 205's and AX's that trundle round the bus station car parks.

As someones signiture says - why have torque when you can have a weedy little 850 engine that goes whirr clatter, pop, bang - oh me pistons flew out the sump mate.... As for the chavs and thieving pikeys... They won't touch a Nova saloon (I hope!)