PDA

View Full Version : rolled arches......... where the fook are they???????????

antinator
31-10-05, 10:10 AM
i didnt know where the hell 2 post this but hey its here now :D i am wondering where the fook can i get my arches rolled for chaep????? i live in bedford and the closest ive been told is surrey :o any ideas on a place which is close 2 me and doesnt cost a packet!
cheers
(p.s would any of u recomend me grindin off the lip???)

probert_nova
31-10-05, 10:46 AM
have you asked around your local bodyshops? nearly all in my area have the kit to do it.grindin the arch can be all right if you don't go to far and get to the double skin coz water will get in between and thats bye bye arch. better to get them roled though.

Stuart
31-10-05, 10:47 AM
i simply cust the lip off mine lol

Give it some rev
31-10-05, 12:07 PM
id definatly get it rolled m8. it would'nt take long before you start seeing rot it you grind them off imo.

chris

Ste L
31-10-05, 12:10 PM
i took a big hammer to mind and did it myself lol

Give it some rev
31-10-05, 12:19 PM
lmao, y pay money when you can do it yourself :lol:

chris

Mike
31-10-05, 03:43 PM
I used two lump hammers and done mine! not even a scratch on paintwork either!

I put the handle end of one hammer between the tyre an arch, smack it in a bit further with the other hammer, then pushed head of the wedged hammer down towards the floor. The tyre takes the majority of force so no body panels get bent/buckled.

All it did was force the lip up without no paint cracks.

Do that a few times and hey presto! ET38 wheels fit a treat! 8)

Why pay for stuff like that?

antinator
31-10-05, 04:23 PM
this is on a astra mk 3 and i think the arch has beens repaired as it only rubs on that 1 rear arch and i am not paying out to get it done for 1 arch........ as for the grinding is there a guide or summin and would i have 2 fix the bodge i already done (i hammered the whole lip inwards) which didnt help :x cheers for the advise

Adam
31-10-05, 07:05 PM
Foook me, on a mk3 astra, what wheels are you trying to fit?

Mk3 astras will take 18s without arch mods.

burgo
31-10-05, 07:12 PM
if your car is lowered then get a hammer a put the handle between the wheel and arch and get a mate to jump up and down in the car and it will gradually roll the arch

ANDYRACER
01-11-05, 12:11 AM
I cut lil slits in my lip with an angle grinder then bent the lip back with a hammer and sealed it all up with waxoil, worked a treat, but only if ur arch hasnt got any filler in it :wink:

antinator
01-11-05, 12:13 AM
ummmmm i did hammer the lip inwards but fooked up the paintwork around it :x still rubbing wiv more then me in :cry: is it time to get the grinder out ?? as its only the 1 arch coz i think its repaired i cannot do the whole hammer in the arch as my wheels go over the lip..........

Mike
01-11-05, 08:51 AM
I should have put that this is advice only, and to do it at your own risk hadn't i?

Well, it worked a treat for me? Althouhg mines only lowered by 40mm?

burgo
01-11-05, 08:55 AM
i cannot do the whole hammer in the arch as my wheels go over the lip..........what do u mean

antinator
01-11-05, 10:18 AM
ummm well is every1 talkin about if the car is on a jack???? if so it could be possible

burgo
01-11-05, 10:41 AM
no car sitting on the floor on its wheels

Mike
01-11-05, 11:43 AM
I done it with the car on the floor, no jack. two hammers and no fillered arches! all steel baby! lol :lol:

NovalutionGSi
01-11-05, 12:54 PM
did that on the 1st nova i had but cracked the paint... needed to warm it up before hand.

what i will be doing when i replace my arches on the GSi is straightening the lip out before putting them on makes the rear look an extra 1/2 inch lower then. :wink:

Mike
01-11-05, 01:02 PM
good plan fairly. i never though of that? hhm?

sickrabbit
04-11-05, 05:15 PM
Use the best weapon known to man ...sorry tool .... anglegrind the arches CAREFULLY ONLY TOTHE WELD SPOT AND NO FURTHER.Use a file to take off any sharp edging , and slap a generous layer of pinstripe sealer along the ground edge. dont drive the motor - leave it over night. Following morning , use underseal brush or spray in the internal arch area , then go about respraying the arch lip. Ypu can prime and then spray over the pinstripe sealed lip. good luck .
Do it at your own risk - it worked for me mate .........

ANT - word of warning mate - if youre not too sure of using the angle grinder - then dont . THESE THINGS EAT STEEL ARCHES LIKE BUTTER.

antinator
04-11-05, 05:34 PM
uggggggh i really need it done but the only time ive ever used a grinder is when i chopped up a van roof rack :oops: so i dunno if ill be capable wiv it so close 2 me but ill try :wink: maybe just maybe ill be able 2 pull sumthing off 4 1ce :idea:

sickrabbit
04-11-05, 06:27 PM
mate , DONT DO IT -GET SOME ONE WHOS USED ONE AND GOT THE KNOWHOW......ASK AROUND MATES NIEGHBOURS AND THE LIKE .....YOU,LL REGRET THE MISTAKES BRO.....