PDA

View Full Version : Suspension manufacturers

Iain
30-10-05, 05:04 PM
Just wondering what suspension springs/shocks you all chose and why. It's nearing the time I will be looking in to lowering my suspension (-60 hopefully) and want to know which manufacturers are the best and most value for money.

Browsing POTN.com, I've seen GMax, PI and Apex suspension kits from ?180 upwards.

Stuart
30-10-05, 06:08 PM
Bilstein sprintline. awesome handling etc blah blah

gmax/apex/pi are all erm well erm, you get what you pay for lol

novaco
30-10-05, 06:13 PM
i have a 60mm gmax kit on mine!! its like being in a go kart which can sometimes be fun but then when you scrape things like splitters and exhaust when going over speedbumps it can get annoying!!

only one reason i bough gmax though was that i could get the full kit rather cheap!

Karl

Iain
30-10-05, 07:06 PM
You scrape things a lot with -60mm? That might cause problems for me because of the steep pavement slope up to my driveway :?

I was looking to pay around the ?200 mark, which would get me something like the GMax kit it seems. Can anybody say anything about choosing -40 or -60? Which would give better handling?

sickrabbit
30-10-05, 07:16 PM
I,d go for 40 mate.....Ive dropped only 30 on 15 rims ,and the rides well bumpy ( mind you the roads in Bedford are terrible ) but from what i,ve read and spoken to folks who,ve gone lower than 40 , the vibration problems just aint worth it . In fact , a few mates have been so cheesed by filler cracking ect ( skirts and such ) they,ve vowed to never go as low again..........

Jack
30-10-05, 07:20 PM
I had spax adjustables on mine, but thats because I spotted them cheap on ebay lol

If I was to build another nova I'd probably go for Bilstein stuff.

probert_nova
30-10-05, 07:21 PM
iv'e had both 40 and 60mm gmax kit.
i didn't have any problems with the 40mm kit, the ride was fine but the height wasn't low enough when on 15s. the 60mm drop looks alot better but its a bumpy ride. my pioneer stereo skips alot and dips in the road etc can send ya all over the place.could just be the shat roads where i live though. theres a part on the m6 (i think)by birmingham which has constant small bumps and its like hiting badgers for half a mile. halfrauds offered me the 60mm kit for ?100 so it was a quickfix but i'd love coilovers sometime soon.

sickrabbit
30-10-05, 07:30 PM
I,ve got in mind to go the coil over route on the next motor ...looks like it,ll be an Astra of some sort . We,ll see.
Dropping the cars sus really makes the difference in handling and driving experience . It also highlights just how bad our roads are - to the point even in normal suspended vechiles - the roads are awful........Road tax - my ar*e - more like moon tax !!

Jack
30-10-05, 07:38 PM
It also highlights just how bad our roads are - to the point even in normal suspended vechiles - the roads are awful
Thats true; went up Bristol last night and hit a pothole (although it felt more like someone had left a manhole cover off) on the A37 just by the ring road. Good job I wasn't in the nova, else I probably would have ripped the front bumper off it was that bad...

Iain
30-10-05, 07:40 PM
he ride was fine but the height wasn't low enough when on 15s

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm also looking at 15's. Got any pics of your car with 40mm and 60mm kits on to compare? It seems like it's a toss up between ride comfort and looks.

As for coilovers... I'm a student on a budget so a suspension kit seems the right choice for now. :P

probert_nova
30-10-05, 07:52 PM
this is a really old pic i have with 40mm on 15s.195/50 tyres though.
never had 60mm drop on 15s though, i have 16s on my sr. see link below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/probert_nova/white%20nova/000_0008.jpg

Iain
30-10-05, 07:59 PM
this is a really old pic i have with 40mm on 15s.195/50 tyres though.
never had 60mm drop on 15s though, i have 16s on my sr. see link below.

Aye that does look a little high. Might have to go -60mm and hope my filler doesn't fall off :P

Philsutton
30-10-05, 08:43 PM
As for coilovers... I'm a student on a budget so a suspension kit seems the right choice for now.
pah im a student an had coilovers on mine, you just need to cut down on all that drinking you piss heads do lol

novacabrio
30-10-05, 08:49 PM
Bilstein sprintline. awesome handling etc blah blah

gmax/apex/pi are all erm well erm, you get what you pay for lol

For once I agree with Stuart :oops:

Riggy
30-10-05, 08:59 PM
whatare you going to be useing your car for mate :?:

if your going to be doing any sort of track sessions then i would save up for coilovers (you can get spax rsx ones on ebay for ?350, although these arent rear adjustable) but if your just using it for and everyday car then 60 should be ok

ive got 60mm on my runaround at the min and i hate it , seriously want to fit my coilovers to it, once you have got used to coilovers driving a car without them stinks :lol:

sickrabbit
30-10-05, 09:28 PM
it is a serious choice between style and comfort - speshly if this motors gonna be your only form of transport ...I,d tread very carefully ( or even drive ) on making any descisions - you say your on a budget ...well , in light of this go as cheap as possible - you wont have the nova for too long so upgrade it as close as your purse will allow , BUT - try to keep it as standard as poss...think about it ...keep it clean ,n tidy ( a little modded) and hopefully sell it on - these cars have a good rep as first time motors for new drivers.....
Razor - the plight of our roads isnt funny anymore mate , as I,m sure you,ll agree - in fact I,m beginiing to think that theyre being left in the poor condition as a traffick calming measure ( stop speeders ) with such thngs as grand canyon dropped drain covers ......its not on mate..I fear the tax we pay is nowt but a joke and daylight robbery.....

REVOLUTION BROTHERS !! BAN THE TAX -STAND UP , UNITE AND BECOME LESBIANS !!

( cough )

scott.parker
30-10-05, 10:30 PM
theres a part on the m6 (i think)by birmingham which has constant small bumps and its like hiting badgers for half a mile.

:lol: i know the part you mean it dont matter if you have just short springs or coilovers on the car on that bit of road,its fucking horrid!

Well if the cars everyday then go with the bilstines,but els get avo coilovers,i cant belive how much better they are then the spax rsx kit i had on :o

Scott

Iain
31-10-05, 10:33 AM
whatare you going to be useing your car for mate :?:

No track use, it's just a first-car 1.2 Merit I'm trying to make look respectable.

[quote="scott.parker"]Well if the cars everyday then go with the bilstines,but els get avo coilovers,i cant belive how much better they are then the spax rsx kit i had on :o /quote]

Blinstines seem to be getting a few votes. I'll look in to them and perhaps extend my budget a little :P