PDA

View Full Version : Best Cam's for SBD'd TB'd XE??

scott.parker
29-10-05, 10:41 PM
Right boys and gents i have my TB's fitted to the car now,so the next engine mod will be a set of cams,at the mo its not set up its running the "base map" (still blisteringly fast) And i have yet to fit a BTB 2.5" manifold and some sort of full system to match,well as i dont think its worth me getting the ECU mapped up till the exhaust is on,i was wondering what type of cams i should fit at the same time?

Was looking into the QED sets and though one out of these two...

Unsure as to whitch one though..

used with the standard hydraulic cam followers

http://www.qednet.demon.co.uk/xe/38hkit.htm

not suitable for the standard hydraulic followers

http://www.qednet.demon.co.uk/xe/420kit.htm

As it is the base map revs to 7750 rpm,but i have been changing gear 7200-7500 very max,i have ARP rod bolts already but dont know if the engin can take that amount of rmp's on standard liffters/follers etc
thus thinking might as well go lumpy cam and solids,but dont know,the car dose take some abuse and is more track as i use another car everyday.

Any help would be mucho usefull,cheers..

Scott

Lee
29-10-05, 11:30 PM
Youll hear a few people slate the QED cams, but i find them brilliant. Go for the 420's and a set of solid lifters, you wont regret it :lol:

scott.parker
29-10-05, 11:32 PM
I dont know,out of all the people to reply and it had to be you.. :lol:

Talk about it tomo mate.

Scott

Stuart
30-10-05, 07:25 AM
first off get a set of SBA steel rollers for the cam belt (infact all XE's should have a set lol)

be carefull with XE cams as you are limited unless you get modded pistons...

it was funny at pod "lee, it almost sounded like your running a solid valve train" "er yeah it is" lmao

scott.parker
30-10-05, 09:53 AM
SBA rollers,humm ok.

This is what you get in the 420 kit stu,though you should know im not silly enough to go mad on cams with out intruder pistons.

http://www.qednet.demon.co.uk/images/xe420kit.jpg

And the 38h kit.

http://www.qednet.demon.co.uk/images/xe38hkit.jpg

Scott

Stuart
30-10-05, 10:21 AM
oops SDB lol

scott.parker
30-10-05, 10:33 AM
oops SDB lolStu do you mean SBD?

Stuart
30-10-05, 10:45 AM
stupid fooking clock changes lol

yes the sbd steel idler modification i aimed you at ;)

Rick Draper
30-10-05, 11:15 AM
SBD rollers are only needed on the later XE's with the square tooth profile cam belt and the auto belt tensioner. The early XE's all had proper rollers.

Ben
30-10-05, 11:55 AM
Solid lifters are the Future.

Just dont get Stupid Bastarding Dicks to set it up.

Lee
30-10-05, 04:59 PM
Solid lifters are the Future.

Just dont get Stupid ba***d Dicks to set it up.

Amen to that brother.

And i agree on the intruder pistons as well. Scott, if your gonna do it, do it proper like :lol:

scott.parker
30-10-05, 07:40 PM
SBD rollers are only needed on the later XE's with the square tooth profile cam belt and the auto belt tensioner. The early XE's all had proper rollers.

humm so by looking at the teath i can tell this then,or just the fact the engine came out of a g plate gte astra will that do :roll:

MARTIN KELSON
31-10-05, 09:06 AM
Unless you pocket the pistons you will be very limited.

Speak to Steve at SBD, sure he will be able to advise and lighten your wallet a bit!!

Lookin to knock me back down then eh Scott?

Rick Draper
31-10-05, 10:17 AM

humm so by looking at the teath i can tell this then,or just the fact the engine came out of a g plate gte astra will that do :roll:

It will be a early setup then. No need to worry about the rollers.

Dar
31-10-05, 01:22 PM
As it is the base map revs to 7750 rpm,but i have been changing gear 7200-7500 very max,i have ARP rod bolts already but dont know if the engin can take that amount of rmp's on standard liffters/follers etc

Don't worry mate they hang together. Before I rigged up the shift light mine was hitting the rev-limiter in every gear. I've also had the throttle stick open when I was driving and had the engine bouncing off of the rev limiter for a little while with no ill effects. Once the ARP bolts are fitted they are really bomb proof.

Lee
31-10-05, 06:20 PM
.... until the rods themselves decide they've had enough LOL.

scott.parker
31-10-05, 08:49 PM
Unless you pocket the pistons you will be very limited.

Speak to Steve at SBD, sure he will be able to advise and lighten your wallet a bit!!

Lookin to knock me back down then eh Scott?

LOL had the TB's a while now mate,just was waiting to get them on etc,but yeah i have gone so far now so i guess there is no going back may as well keep going now.

Scott

j1400
01-11-05, 07:59 AM
I'd suggest you have a look at catcams, as the profles they have (mild ones) seem to give good gains.

Dave_B's astra had a set put in and gain about 12-15Bhp can't remeber exactly but was on std springs etc...

Then get a diff ;)

NovaNeil
01-11-05, 12:42 PM
Scott!!! That car does not need cams....yet! It needs a Diff!!!!!!! :x

Neil

scott.parker
02-11-05, 12:58 AM
Scott!!! That car does not need cams....yet! It needs a Diff!!!!!!! :x

Neil

LOL chill out mate,even when you drove it ti never pulled much,it better now the track and alighnments done,but im just trying to get an idea of what to buy,as you knoe its best i fit the lot in one go and then get it RR,and maped.. :wink:

Scott