PDA

View Full Version : 2.0l 8valve nova nightmare.

nova165
29-10-05, 05:04 PM
woops,sorry bout that. as i said i need some help.

Irecently fitted a 2.0l 8v cav sri engine into my nova.
the nova was originally a 1.0litre spin mechanical fuel pump carburetor etc.

Iv done all the work myself, and it all went sweet, but now iv met my biggest problem.
when i wne t to start her up, i dont get a prime from my gsi fuel pump,however turn the key to crank an the pump works.the engine turns over,theres a spark,theres fuel and it fires so long as the keys turn,soon as i let go, fuel pump cuts out,engine stops. iv checked the wiring and it all seems ok, although i cant but thik maybe theres a problem with the fuel pump wiring.i used the red blue like in the cavalier and earthed to ground. Is this not ok, or do i have to run it back to the fuse box with a 20amp fuse?
ANY HELP IS GREATEY APPRECIATED.
Many thanks in advance.

addgsi
29-10-05, 05:16 PM
imo i would run a silver top facet pump but as for wirin where have u wired it up from??? plus i take it u put a gsi tank on

fastestsaloon
29-10-05, 05:38 PM
the wire u need is red and blue like you've got and it should come from the fuel pump relay with a 20amp fuse on the way. check that you've ignition live (black) going to your fuel pump relay is on the '15' terminal on your ignition switch, not on the '15a' conection. if youve got a haynes manuel have a look at the wiring diagram and youll see what i mean, both terminals are live on the third turn of the key but mine wouldnt work unless it was on the '15' terminal. hope this works :)

Lee
29-10-05, 11:34 PM
if your running with the original tank without the swirl pot, youll probably get surge around corners as well, so i would guess youll either need to change the tank or fit your own swirl pot with a duel pump system.

I hope you changed the fuel lines as well?

nova165
31-10-05, 08:23 PM
thanks for the help fellas.going to try them out one night this week.hopefully thatl sort it.yes new lines, no swirl pot,facet fuel pump,possibly in the future.is it worth me adding a 18e head and inlet manifold, for a few extra horses???????

Austin_Nova16
01-11-05, 03:42 PM
imo i would run a silver top facet pump but as for wirin where have u wired it up from??? plus i take it u put a gsi tank on

That is a load of bull!
A silver top pump is low pressure as are the red tops. A high pressure pump like the one he's using is what he wants.

I know the xe's don't prime when the ign is turn on, only when cranked. I assume this is the same for the 8v. Anyway. fastestsaloon seems to have it covered ;)

Spudly
01-11-05, 07:24 PM
I would have suggested he had the power to the fuel pump on the wrong wire i.e. the switched live for the starter rather than the perm live for ignition!!

if your running with the original tank without the swirl pot, youll probably get surge around corners as well

Is that where you take a rounabout at speed and the engine misfires or cuts out for a couple of seconds wen u come out of it cos mine does that!!!! (XE`d 1.2)

Austin_Nova16
02-11-05, 02:40 PM
So does my xe I just built in my 1.2i shell.

Anyone any info on the 1.2i 'in-tank' pumps?
Can i replace it with a bigger one? (think I heard before that a vectra one fitted...is this correct?)

Lee H
02-11-05, 03:40 PM
So does my xe I just built in my 1.2i shell.

Anyone any info on the 1.2i 'in-tank' pumps?
Can i replace it with a bigger one? (think I heard before that a vectra one fitted...is this correct?)

Thats because the Nova 1.2i only has a SPi pump, you need a MPi pump from a Corsa 12v, 16v or similar, will fit in tank like the standard Nova one.

Austin_Nova16
03-11-05, 09:04 AM
I knew the original pump was for spi...but seems to be coping at the moment, but will grb one from a multipoint at w/e. Nice 1