PDA

View Full Version : Nova mirrors

novaco
29-10-05, 04:45 PM
I was thinking about getting some of them short nova mirrors......

has anyone tried to make them???

or can you buy them???

Cheers for any info!

Karl

Riggy
29-10-05, 08:35 PM
fearless is the guy that makes them but i believe that people have been waitinf for a fews years for pairs lol

best just having a go yourself really mate

SRlew
29-10-05, 09:01 PM
umm i got a spare set lurking round me shed. might have ago at making some. anyone got any tips? before i just get stuck in there.

Ste L
29-10-05, 09:43 PM
you mean these....
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/Nova%201600/DSCI0016.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/Nova%201600/DSCI0017.jpg

sorry.... no idea where you could get some :lol: :lol: :lol:

SRlew
29-10-05, 09:53 PM
ahh im glad iv seen a pic. i can see were i was about to go wrong.

did you make yours ste?

cheer, lew

novaco
29-10-05, 10:21 PM
no he bought them

Give it some rev
29-10-05, 10:26 PM
their quality !

think i might have a go at some. (should be good 4 a laugh :lol: )

chris

novaco
29-10-05, 10:27 PM
i know how to make some.....well the surounds its just where do you get the smaller mirror bit from??????

Karl

Give it some rev
29-10-05, 10:33 PM
so how do u make them coz iv got sort of a idea but wondering if theirs an easier way lol :D

the glass itself looks like standard glass just cut coz if you look closley you can see the plastic bit on the top left hand side (mirror on the right i mean).

chris

novaco
29-10-05, 10:36 PM
all you wud hav to do is dismantle them then cut however much u want from the edge that connects nearest to the car.....

so that you are still left with the shape of the end of the mirror...

tidy it up with bodge and then put em back together

Give it some rev
29-10-05, 10:42 PM
exactly what i was thinking but i thought they might be an easier way thats all.

thanx m8

chris

novaco
29-10-05, 10:43 PM
there would.......

..........buy some!! 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Give it some rev
29-10-05, 11:09 PM
lmao yeah but no 1 sells them

chris

scott.parker
29-10-05, 11:56 PM
Fook it as it getting dark and could im up fro trying to make some my self.. :lol:

novaco
29-10-05, 11:57 PM
we shud all hav ago..... :lol:

SRlew
30-10-05, 06:48 PM
right you now the bit of the mirror (that holds the glass) that connects to the baseplate,

well, would you have to shorten it by cuting it in the middle, as the bit nearest the base plate, you would need to keep i think wouldnt you?

any one know what i mean :?

but thats sounds a good idea novaco, lets see who gets it right then :lol:

Give it some rev
30-10-05, 08:28 PM
yeah i know what ya mean and yeah you would have to cut it in the middle

chris

scott.parker
30-10-05, 08:41 PM
Nope i would say you would cut it on the outer edge,part thats most far way from the car,as this end dose nothing,no?

Been thinking about this today,im going to get my old mirrors out and take them appart and look it over,i recon i can do this by the end of the week(lol if i can be botherd)

Scott

SRlew
31-10-05, 07:06 PM
alright then scott. lets av it :lol:
is it now a race or sumin :lol:

but yer im gunna av a look aswell see what needs to be done, gunna start it tomorrow.

lew

CorsaNova
31-10-05, 07:27 PM
I've just taken a closer look at those mirrors, the job makeing them smaller is a real MESS :o

I did by mistake managed to break the mirror-glass when I tried opening the mirror. :oops:

Because of the unsymetrical square figure they have, it will look rare to weld them together again after cutting of an inch or two at one of the ends..because of different sizes at different points on the mirror...

If you try to cut away some of the part closest to the car (inside), you'll be getting problems with the piece that connects to the door.
And if you try removing some of the outside of the mirror, you'll need a magicstick to weld togheter the end part to the mirror to make it look descent again...

So I'm really keen on buying a pair of DTM mirrors, they don't have the same square-figure as the orginal ones (witch I do think match the nova very well..) but they're pretty clean and smooth!!..

scott.parker
31-10-05, 07:34 PM
I have dtm's on mine,there nice,and they do the job well,but im not backing down from this one,i will make some,ok its going to take longer then i thought,and mate,when we said about cuting some off,we wer talking about the mirror plate its self,as for getting over the shape style and angle i recon ive got it,and if i can get some looking good,might make a mold in fiberglass :lol:

Scott

CorsaNova
31-10-05, 07:46 PM
Yes...it has to be a major fibreglass job!

By removing some of the mirror, I think you also make it weaker...witch will perhaps make it wobble/shake when driving..

But I'm pretty excited about this project, so good luck everyone :D

SRlew
01-11-05, 11:53 AM
yer, looks harder than i thought now iv got the mirror in front of me, but im still going to have a good go at it.

Ste L
01-11-05, 05:07 PM
im sooooooooo glad i've had mine made for me :D

SRlew
01-11-05, 05:33 PM
yer, i bet you are you b*****d :lol:

Ste L
01-11-05, 05:49 PM
what can i say :lol:

novaco
01-11-05, 08:58 PM
buying them is the lazy way though!!!

plus you learn nothing by doing that!!! :lol:

Ste L
01-11-05, 10:49 PM
ah well, probably costed me less that what they would to make em....

probert_nova
01-11-05, 11:05 PM
i had a look at a mirror i had lying around tonight and it looks alot harder than i thought it would.couldn't even get the fookin mirror out so ended up chuckin it in the bin.

can you put up how wide your mirrors are ste, i couldn't figure out where to start cuttin.

scott.parker
02-11-05, 01:02 AM
Right this weekend im off to buy some old mirrors,i will have a fiddle and then post my progress,when and if i get time to do anything.. :lol:

novamadcars
02-11-05, 01:19 AM
well lads good luck with this and were wanting progress pics

craig green
03-11-05, 01:57 PM
I made my own a few years back. It is hard as fook by the way. It took me about 6 months of lunch times & skiving in work to do. There is still a crack in the underside of one of my covers but its nigh on invisible & suits me.

I came up with the idea for myself before I'd even seen the 1st ones on Brett Warburtons SRi.
The hardest part is the varying depth of the outer surround. I chopped them at the ends & remade them as short as I could, I kept the ball joint swivel part in place for the glass but cut the body as close up to this as I could.
I looked at the Fearless ones at a show & reckon that they might be a few mm shorter than mine.

I got the glass cut by a glass supplier. he was unsure if it would cut or shatter but he did a good job. Take a look at my featured car in 'turbos' to see them.

I might sell them to the best offer.......... PM me with your bids!

craig green
03-11-05, 01:59 PM
Actually sorry, they can hardly be seen. I'll get some pics at the weekend.

CorsaNova
03-11-05, 03:37 PM
Sweet looking Nova that is...

A DIY-recipie with pics would probably be the best, so we in that way could make our own out of the old ones...

By the way do I have some DTM's soon coming up at my door...think they will look sweet as well...

Ste L
15-11-05, 07:14 PM
anyone got any progress pic of these yet,

ade
15-11-05, 10:49 PM
mental...theres alot of work in making these - you cant just "cut and shut" simply because the lines of the outer case wont line up. You can make a kaster then cast it in resin for copies. The interior section should be easier to make. 1/2 decent glass supplier will be able to make some glass - just get any mirror and give then dimensions.

As for interior parts use plastic weld to remelt the plstic - most decent model shops sell it - or you can order it from EMA model supplies...

good luck with anyone who pulls off a decent version

scott.parker
19-11-05, 10:02 AM
Im still going to try this,just not had any time of late.. :?

Ade i was going to use some plubers pipe weld for plastic pipes :lol:

Scott

novaco
19-11-05, 08:24 PM
me too!

been wanting to try it but just had to much on at the min what with the project and stuff!

Karl

CorsaNova
26-11-05, 12:02 AM
Any progress on them small modified mirorrs there??...

I've just painted and fitted some new DTM's...they look smooth and didn't cost me much.

(off topic..)

BTW does anyone know why there's different shapes of them??

Some seems to stick upwards and other (mine) lays down at the side of the car...has seen both kinds at novas. And other cars (new) has another kind of baseplate that is covering some parts of the DTM's...

Ste L
04-12-05, 09:40 PM
just had my shorty mirrors sprayed,

they was took apart, to save masking, so i thought i would stick some pics of them up, so you can get soem idea's when who ever is making their own...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/shortys/DSCI0020.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/shortys/DSCI0018.jpg

scott.parker
04-12-05, 09:56 PM
I cant quite see them pics that well Ste,i will be putting project didie mirrors on hold,as work is the main thing taking up my time of late.

Scott

novaco
04-12-05, 10:24 PM
you had a go yet then scott?

scott.parker
04-12-05, 10:32 PM
Not realy had time,though i do intend to try.....

novaco
05-12-05, 07:30 PM
Thats my excuse too!!

Ste L
05-12-05, 09:23 PM
excuses excuses

craig green
09-12-05, 04:16 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/shortys/DSCI0020.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/shortys/DSCI0018.jpg

They dont look 'that' short. Soz.

Get a glass supplier to cut your old glass (I did).