PDA

View Full Version : Carpark Insurance

Dar
28-10-05, 01:28 PM
Do you have to be insured to drive car in a car park?
So for example if you wanted to have a go at driving for the first time. Could you jump in to someones car that is completly road legal and have a little test drive in a car park?

scott.parker
28-10-05, 03:31 PM
Humm think this is one of them grey areas mate,where theres no real law on it,as my sister was hit by a driver (un-insured polish imegrent)

Fair to him thouhg he said he wernt insured and stayed till the police got there,the cops said there is not much we can do as the crash is in a car park etc,but they did get him and fine him for no docs etc,and shes trying to settel the insurance with the guy through her insurers taking him to court etc,so im still a bit unsure on this one mate.

Although i have done it my self with freinds,and an ex girl friend who wanted to lear to drive.

scott

Jack
28-10-05, 03:52 PM
AFAIK car parks are generally deemed private property, so I would assume insurance is not required as the law states you need insurance to drive a car on the "public highways" - not sure about ones owned by the council though.

bump
28-10-05, 06:13 PM
right, if i remember correctly all car parks are regarded as private property. even council owned ones as they are not officially part of the highway.

Iain
28-10-05, 06:59 PM
I learnt to drive in a Sainsburys overspill carpark on Sunday mornings. :D

I'll agree with the above posts, they're private property.

Jack
28-10-05, 07:33 PM
According to DVLA website:

Q1. When should I have motor insurance?
You must be insured if you use a vehicle on a road or other public place.

bump
28-10-05, 08:08 PM
According to DVLA website:

Q1. When should I have motor insurance?
You must be insured if you use a vehicle on a road or other public place.

yes that is correct, but in land law a carpark is not public. it is a private space that the public can enter. such as a shopping centre is private. ie if you have an accident inside you would claim on the owner's insurance not the councils

Riggy
30-10-05, 08:55 AM
iirc mate , i read a news article local to me once and it was about a dad who was teaching his son to drive in a asda carpark , when the police came on blah blah blah , but the dad got done for it in the end :o

Jos
30-10-05, 09:02 AM
I first started driving in a local themeparks car park. During the winter seasons.

Find a private and empty one and you'll be ok

Jack
30-10-05, 11:18 AM
but the dad got done for it in the end :o
Thats true - the person who is supervising the learner is responsible for them, its like if you take a learner out and they get nicked speeding then afaik whoever is supervising them will get points too