PDA

View Full Version : reading matter

sickrabbit
27-10-05, 09:07 PM
He hates anything Vauxhall , and has one of the best jobs probably known to man , and I,m in no doubt some Novaloafers loathe the bloke , but , Jeremy Clarkesons book , "the world according to Clarkeson" is certainly a good read......

Any other recommended books appreciated , as British summer time ends this weekend , and we go back to the black long nights.......( anything is better than the idiot tube - telly ).........

Jack
27-10-05, 10:42 PM
Mick Foley's books are quite good....

Lee
28-10-05, 10:13 AM
Totally agree, bought the book to read on holiday.

Have a look at his other books, im fraid to say ive read em all.
Motorworld is excellent, had me in stiches a few times, especially the driving in India section!. Clarkson on cars is a bit dated (as in he mentions he has seen Fords new concept called the 'KS' and he rekoned it looked like a bogey!) but still a good read!

I know you got soul is a great book, but it is fooking enormous, .. like an Atlas!

sickrabbit
28-10-05, 05:19 PM
Just finished the Clarkson and now I,m re starting a survivors account of Auchwitz .....its sheer horror to the core , I,ll pop out and obtain Motorworld , just to lighten the mood..........

ade
29-10-05, 12:47 AM
If yer into slightly dry/funny/black humour with a twist I can recommend Christopher Brookmyer, or his American counterpart Carl Hussein - seriously funny and very dry witted.

I'm currently reading all the Terry Pratchet books - not at the same time of course. Find them hilarious and the more you read the more you get into the whole disc world thing...

I like the kind of books that send the old creative imagination going - so you can pisture them as though they were films...get more into them that way...

Phil_G
29-10-05, 12:52 AM
If youre after a Travel type book then hunt out Bill Bryson. Some of his observations are so fantastically dry and sarcastic its brilliant..

well recommended :D

cooper_nova
29-10-05, 12:56 AM
i like andy mcnabs books there are good and seam realistic due to the fact he's lived what he writes 8)

novapearl
03-11-05, 03:20 PM
Why not throw in some Stephen King books for sheer randoness, sounds like you got a good mix of everything else....

What about the most important - the good old Haynes manual....

Got to have one of those surely - everyone must have one...(doesn't mean you have to read it until youv'e actually started/got stuck with the job....)

Adam

sickrabbit
03-11-05, 03:52 PM
Blimey - this has come out of the blue , an oldie post reply...

Ade - you aint kidding about the way the Pratchett books conjour the imagination. Nearly everyone has had me in fits - speshly the old librarians antics as an orangutan -oooook!!
I,m not too sure of his best novel in the discworld series , but Moving Pictures and Mort are favourites....

Any how , enuff of the heavy stuff , I,m back off to reading the latest copy of Men Only...........REAL LITERATURE !!

Roverboy
03-11-05, 08:39 PM
anything by andy mcnab is good ive got all his books
so is chris ryan and also tom clancy

the thing with andy mcnab and chris ryan you dont really know if its been made up as its to close and realistic to be and the acuracy is 101%

epo
03-11-05, 08:47 PM
am a big fan of
"choppers" books mark brandon reed is an amazing bloody author and he cant evn bloody spell he's semi bloody aliterat (bit like me) lol