PDA

View Full Version : 2 litre brakes on my GSi - not very good?

wardyworld
27-10-05, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

Just Novas fitted some 2 litre discs, pads and calipers on my 91 GSi a few months back.

thing is - they dont bite hard - I thought it was me - but im thinking now its not!

I cant get them to lock - not even if i do say 40 mph and then push em pull on - it brakes OK, but not neck snapping as I thought they would be. Plus they're EBC pads and EBC grooved and blind drilled discs - so I thought they should be awesome! They do stop the car well, and the braking seems to be uniform.

I've had the brakes checked and bled when I had the car serviced.

Any ideas what I should check first?

Cheers,

Adam (wardyworld)

:D

scott.parker
27-10-05, 12:42 PM
humm mate any idea what servo or master cylider it got on it?

you sure it was a gsi before the respray,as that the only thing i can think of,it it used to be a 1.2 or 1.4 and then was resprayd and re engined as gsi??

Scott

wardyworld
27-10-05, 12:58 PM
humm mate any idea what servo or master cylider it got on it?

you sure it was a gsi before the respray,as that the only thing i can think of,it it used to be a 1.2 or 1.4 and then was resprayd and re engined as gsi??

Scott

Hi Scott,

Yeah it's def. a GSi - I checked the vauxhall paperwork, etc.

The only thing is I vaguely, vaguely remember seeing something in the paperwork with the car refering to the master servo not doing something correctly?

PS - you've got 2 litre brakes - if you push hard at 40 - is the bite ferocious? Mine's not!

Cheers mate :D

Adam.

scott.parker
27-10-05, 02:01 PM
If i was to push hard on them mate at 40 they would lock right up...come on you have been in my car :wink:

Scott

wardyworld
27-10-05, 03:29 PM
If i was to push hard on them mate at 40 they would lock right up...come on you have been in my car :wink:

Scott

lol very true

I remember holding on tight, and going very pale.....

Thought so - your car was what made me wonder really - im quite concerned about my brakes now!

Bugger! What do I do? Im about as mechanically minded as Jordan! :roll:

Cheers,

Adam.

Benn
30-10-05, 08:57 PM
have you tryed rebleeding them?
in case theres air in the system....

Stuart
30-10-05, 09:11 PM
did you bed the discs and pads in right? the ebc stuff needs about 1K of gentle/progressive braking to get sorted. and then you need heat in them to get neck snapping stopping..... so from cold they will stop you but not uber fast etc.

burgo
31-10-05, 02:34 AM
thats what i was gonna say i take it you have bedded them in and aint stamping on the brakes whilst there stil "new" or you'll warp your disks. have said that i do find you have to get a little bit of heat in to uprated pads but mine lock lol. rather scary in the wet actually

Lee
31-10-05, 07:49 PM
did you bed the discs and pads in right? the ebc stuff needs about 1K of gentle/progressive braking to get sorted. and then you need heat in them to get neck snapping stopping..... so from cold they will stop you but not uber fast etc.

.. in fact without heat in them they are utterly wank, not just 'not uber fast' lol.

Bloody awesome when nice and warm though, and they even work when almost on fire :lol:

wardyworld
31-10-05, 09:19 PM

.. in fact without heat in them they are utterly w**k, not just 'not uber fast' lol.

Bloody awesome when nice and warm though, and they even work when almost on fire :lol:

Hi all,

they werent new - they'd done about 1k miles - so should all be bedded in.

they arent that bad, just not what i expected from 2 litre brake conversion.

However, i drive like a pansy, so i probably dont even get them luke warm!

lol - anyways the nova is sold :cry: so, either an XE is on the cards - someone please stop Scott saying "do it - do it - do it" lol or possibly a Cally V6

we shall see

Cheers

Adam.
8)