PDA

View Full Version : At the body shop removing vinyl

luke langton
24-10-05, 09:00 PM
I thought I would show you my progress of removing the vinyl, the vinyl on the pillars and tailgate were damaged so I thought it just had to go! When I started to rebuild my nova it was originally silk violet. I didn?t want to get rid of the gsi vinyl when I got it repainted, so that?s why there is two colours.

I would like to replace the vinyls but I cant get them anywhere! My local Vauxhall dealer doesn?t sell them anymore.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/luke_novagsi/DSCN2354.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/luke_novagsi/DSCN2358.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/luke_novagsi/DSCN2359.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/luke_novagsi/DSCN2361.jpg

Ben
24-10-05, 09:06 PM
Shame it was damaged, they never look the same without vynal.

ANDYRACER
24-10-05, 11:40 PM
The vynal looks crap imo, always causes the metal underneath to rust aswell. The vynal killed my doors and the bottom of the rear arches on my old sr and has killed the tailgate on the gsi.

NovalutionGSi
24-10-05, 11:48 PM
i agree with Andy there... if i was reuilding it i'd leave it off but if you want the vinyl then why not try you local sign writtter, if you have a smaple they might be able to get hold of some for you and prob even fit for you.

burgo
24-10-05, 11:57 PM
na vynal looks kool indeed. plus its not the vynal that kills the doors your more than likely find its water getting trapped inside the doors that does it. i say go to your local sign writters and get some more

Ben
24-10-05, 11:57 PM
Vynal gets blamed for rotting doors and tailgates but you see just as many without it rotted as well.

If fitted correctly then there should be know way water can get behind it.

Both GTE's and GSi's without Vynal look like imatations

probert_nova
25-10-05, 12:01 AM
i think it looks so much better with vynal. i'd say sign writer/grafix place or put up a few wanted posts, you never though someone may have one laying about from an unfinished project. more different would be to spray it on in anthracite to look like vynal but havn't got a clue what that'd turn out like or whether its been done before. i sprayed all the bottom on my sr to look like vynal and its looks gorgeous, much better than vynal would of.

burgo
25-10-05, 12:12 AM
Vynal gets blamed for rotting doors and tailgates but you see just as many without it rotted as well.

If fitted correctly then there should be know way water can get behind it.

Both GTE's and GSi's without Vynal look like imatations
exactly thats why when i converted me 1L i bout a genuine gte taigate with vynal intact

NovalutionGSi
25-10-05, 07:58 AM
wouldnt say they look like imatations, my GSi had the vinyl on the boot and on the door pillars. but after doing some work on the boot i de-wipered it and then wanting to keep it looking the same i used the same colour i had used to spray my side skirts and painted the boot to look like it had the vinyl on there. as below.

Painted
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/novaload/Novalution26-05-05-6.jpg

Vinyl
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/novaload/novalution2.jpg

burgo
25-10-05, 08:09 AM
mk1 gsi???

F188CHG
25-10-05, 10:10 AM
Dich the vinyl and get some decent paint on it,Check mine i 2pak primered the whole car :lol: more expensive but be worth it especialy with the amout of rain here in glesga :lol:

luke langton
25-10-05, 10:45 AM
I really wanted to keep the vinyl on! I know if I take it off it will look like an imitation and it won?t be original, but I had to take it off the vinyl on the tailgate had a 5 inch scratch on it right thought to the paint!
I have also tried my local sign writer but they don?t have a colour anywhere near the original vinyl.

F188CHG
25-10-05, 11:06 AM
Must admit my SR looked well mint till i removed the vinyl and put sideskirts on,But i had to take it off it was starting to bubble :cry:

Lee H
25-10-05, 11:21 AM
I managed to buy all the door pillar vinyl brand new from Vauxhall about 3 months ago for when I get my car resprayed, came to about ?60 in total though :x

polly
25-10-05, 11:21 AM
my brother has two brand new vynals for gsi nova boot door ones only though ill ask him about it if ye are interesteed

luke langton
25-10-05, 11:37 AM
yes i am interested if your brother wants to sell one of them! if i can get the tailgate vinyl then i am half way there!

Lee H
25-10-05, 11:39 AM
yes i am interested if your brother wants to sell one of them! if i can get the tailgate vinyl then i am half way there!

Was going to buy the tailgate vinyl as well but it comes in a 10m roll from Vauxhall and is ?60, only need about 1/10 of it lol.

F188CHG
25-10-05, 11:42 AM
:lol: nice 1

luke langton
25-10-05, 11:43 AM
have you got a number for your local dealer lee cos it seems you can get everything, mine doesnt sell anything anymore?

scott.parker
25-10-05, 11:53 AM
You painted a Silkviolet GSi blak!! :o

Fool turn it back now.. :lol:

Yeah this is one im going to have to say it has to stay on the car for the added old skool look.

Luke as for novalutuoins GSi it is a gsi but mk1 face drop,lol

Scott

luke langton
25-10-05, 12:00 PM
I knew I was going to get some stick painting a silk violet black :oops: lol

Well if I can get some new vinyl then I will defiantly put it on it?s just a matter of finding some!

Lee H
25-10-05, 12:25 PM
have you got a number for your local dealer lee cos it seems you can get everything, mine doesnt sell anything anymore?

Parts is on 0161 633 2885. See what they say.

Lee

luke langton
25-10-05, 12:36 PM
ok cheers mate i will give them a ring!

burgo
25-10-05, 12:44 PM

Yeah this is one im going to have to say it has to stay on the car for the added old skool look.

Scottwhy not buy a gte lol, or does that make sence

SRlew
25-10-05, 01:32 PM
im glad to see some people like the vinyl.

im re-spraying my car next month and want to replace the tailgate vinyl when its done. but i need the 1.4 SR one.

lee H, that vinyl is 10m long but whats the hight of it?
i might give them a ring aswell :D

scott.parker
25-10-05, 02:40 PM

Mate i think he had the parts to do it and had a gsi so it might just be cheeper that way??? :lol:

Jack
25-10-05, 05:43 PM

Yeah, fool painting a silk violet in black

...should have painted it Mexico Red :lol: :lol:

Ben
25-10-05, 05:57 PM
Luke

Where abouts in the south west are you as i know you can get vynal from Main dealers in Bristol.

luke langton
25-10-05, 06:51 PM
yes i do live in brsitol and i have tried the main dealer on avon street, they said it was none stock. can you let me know where you can get them.

Ben
25-10-05, 07:07 PM
Drive in town are sh!te full stop, If you give Dan Harfords in Kingswood a part number they will order the part from either Germany or Luton depending where they are kept.

If you get really stuck my ex mrs is the bodyshop manager at patchway cars.

SKoob
25-10-05, 07:21 PM
I am a vinyl man meself, An SR for example, doesn't look like a proper SR unless it has the vinyl :wink:

luke langton
25-10-05, 07:33 PM
oh right! cheers much appreciated. have you got a number for Dan harfords? how can i get hold of him.

Ben
25-10-05, 07:42 PM
They are in the Yellow pages, i have trade club with themand only got a direct line number.

luke langton
25-10-05, 07:54 PM
ok thanks i will have a look in the yellow pages

Ben
25-10-05, 08:20 PM
Who's painting you car mate?

luke langton
26-10-05, 12:03 PM
It?s at my uncle?s body shop up in Worcester

scott.parker
26-10-05, 12:50 PM

Got any contact details for him? etc pm them me mate,im from stratford upon avon,not to far from worcester,and in the next 12 months im serching for a good bodyshop(but one that dosnt want to charge me vey overpriced)

Scott

Ben
26-10-05, 06:38 PM
Luke

was your car Dan Orchard's old one?

luke langton
26-10-05, 07:16 PM
No never hear of him, I bought mine from a woman in London who has owned it from new!

scott.parker
26-10-05, 07:20 PM

Got any contact details for him? etc pm them me mate,im from stratford upon avon,not to far from worcester,and in the next 12 months im serching for a good bodyshop(but one that dosnt want to charge me vey overpriced)

Scott

Please mate can you pm me details?

Scott :wink:

luke langton
26-10-05, 07:21 PM
I think I might have had a look at his when I was looking for one, did it originally have 17s with chrome m3 mirrors? And he worked in some car accessory place forget what is called now.

luke langton
26-10-05, 07:34 PM
Yeah sure I have just pm you, I couldn?t find the right number so that why it took me a while, his prices aren?t cheap but I think they are reasonable because his work is top quality!

amggsi
26-10-05, 07:35 PM
I am a vinyl man meself, An SR for example, doesn't look like a proper SR unless it has the vinyl :wink:

Same here, but reading this thread has depressed me because I thought the vinyl would be readily available from Vauxhall!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

SRlew
26-10-05, 10:00 PM

Same here, but reading this thread has depressed me because I thought the vinyl would be readily available from Vauxhall!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

skoob, i think the same mate! thats why i want to replace my tail gate vinyl. tryed getting some company to make it and they said they carnt so i dont no what to do now.

yer i thought they would sell nova vinyl aswell.

Dave_Nova
26-10-05, 10:59 PM
i love the vinyl on my SR however its holding rust on the car at the moment so has to come off :(

however im going to take the bump strips off and then when the car is cleaner and rust sorted im tempted to paint the bottom half to have a vinyl look. however unsure

SRlew
27-10-05, 10:58 AM
dave i thought the same mate, i couldnt believe it when i had to take the side vinyl off due to rusty doors.

probert_nova
27-10-05, 03:26 PM
but like i said imo spraying the bottom to look like vynal looks so much better and also you wouldn't have any problems with water getting behind it.

luke langton
27-10-05, 09:34 PM
Yeah I have thought about spraying the pillars and tailgate to look like vinyl, that might have to be my last resort! But hopefully I can still get some vinyl from somewhere?

scott.parker
27-10-05, 09:58 PM
Dude just tip for you,drop the sig in hight pixels to 100 :wink:

Scott

Ben
27-10-05, 10:07 PM
Who makes these damn sig's anyhow :x

luke langton
28-10-05, 11:41 AM
ok cheers, Is this better :D

scott.parker
28-10-05, 12:06 PM
ok cheers, Is this better :D

Yes mate,just though i would tell you before addmin removed it :wink:

NovalutionGSi
28-10-05, 12:56 PM

sorry only just found this topic again! Right Burgo (guessing your names Luke!!) heres the story......

just over 2 years ago my old Grey SR was rear ended and written off. having been bitten by the nova bug i wanted another and started looking in Autotrader, found 2 that took my interest, a Red SRi and my white GSi J plater. BUT heres the bit that made me look more closely at this car, it was sporting the full GTE Mk1 bodykit. so thinking either they had got the wrong picture or it was as it is today a mk1 GSi, maybe being one of the last GTE to be sold but with a Mk2 black dash and all the door cards but with GTE seats. so checked the car over and found it to be mint and did a bit of digging with a mate who lived in the area to find out why it was a Mk1 1/2. sounds like the GSi may have been used for parts to facelift a Mk1 which was also white. But havnt found any problems with her at all.

luke langton
28-10-05, 01:18 PM
Drive in town are sh!te full stop, If you give Dan Harfords in Kingswood a part number they will order the part from either Germany or Luton depending where they are kept.

I spoke to him and he said the vinyl for the pillars come in 4 pieces and he had 2 of them in stock! So I have ordered the rest which should come soon! he is also trying to see if the tailgate vinyl is still available?
Thanks Ben he was a great help!! :D

Lee H
28-10-05, 01:31 PM

I spoke to him and he said the vinyl for the pillars come in 4 pieces and he had 2 of them in stock! So I have ordered the rest which should come soon! he is also trying to see if the tailgate vinyl is still available?
Thanks Ben he was a great help!! :D

I've got 10 pieces to do the door pillars for some reason :o

craig green
28-10-05, 03:31 PM
Ditto, I managed to get new vinyl for mine from the dealer.

its 3M stuff so a sign writer should be able to get something similar.

luke langton
28-10-05, 03:43 PM
well I think he said 4 or 5 for each pillar? which would make 10 so that sounds about right, he said it was for a gsi so it should be right ones!

Ben
28-10-05, 06:13 PM
They are helpful there unlike the other vx dealers in town.