PDA

View Full Version : Wide Track Help

Phil GTE
24-10-05, 01:42 PM
Hi. Part of my rebuild includes a wide track kit. I am getting to the point in my rebuild (slowly) where I need this to continue.

Aside from TAS (bankrupt and I dont trust them) and protec (very dear) are therew any alternative wide track solutions?

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

fearless
24-10-05, 06:38 PM
Another expensive option would be from Walden Engineering

http://www.waldenengineering.co.uk/nova.asp

burgo
24-10-05, 06:52 PM
im sure demon tweeks used to do them aswell but just had a quick look on there site and cant find it

Phil GTE
24-10-05, 11:11 PM
Walden, the price is too high.

Demon thieves sold the TAS kit at a much higher price.

:cry: help

Ben
25-10-05, 12:08 AM
What do you need phil?

Stuart
25-10-05, 08:02 AM
use yer loaf and design/make your own..... its not "that" hard.

burgo
25-10-05, 08:07 AM
good idea stu. aslong as you make a simple jig to get both sides the same its really not hard. plus whilst your there you can make it all ajustable :D

Austin_Nova16
25-10-05, 12:50 PM
Well, Use an astra GTE 16v rear beam for starts...

Phil GTE
25-10-05, 01:29 PM
The rear isnt an issue - can source the parts.

The front is - I have equal length driveshafts, therefore the track need to be Astra/cav.callyt width (as per the wide track kit).

Could make(have made) a kit with some accurate measuring - just didnt want to be the first!

Stuart
25-10-05, 03:03 PM
what does it matter if you are/arent the first to do it.... jsut do it lol

ive made adjustable tie bars that are similar to the TAS ones but modded slightly, not used them yet but we shall see, trail and error n all that

Ben
25-10-05, 06:10 PM
Wouldnt be to hard to use nigh on all cav parts like non pas rack etc, sod it go and weld a Cav subframe up.

Seen it done :wink:

garyc
25-10-05, 06:12 PM
What effect does widening the front have on the handling? Would the effect be the the same if you used diffent offet wheels and spcaces, assuming there is no problems with arches?

Ben
25-10-05, 06:14 PM
When fitting wide arch kits some people do just run et10-0 wheels and just fill the arches this way, other doing it correctly widen the track, best bet if you can.

Stuart
25-10-05, 06:20 PM
be a cheapass and use spacers then say goodbye to wheel bearings on a regular basis lol

S_Gault
25-10-05, 06:27 PM
you need to jig the wishbones, any one that can build a national hot rod will have jigs for the double a frame type they used or the sierra type in later years. try sonny howard

you wont need the roll bar as they used a compression strut which allows more castor to be used.

mikey14sr
25-10-05, 06:45 PM
make up some longer lower arms from some box section? make sure you get the angles right though!!

garyc
25-10-05, 09:05 PM
.....yeah but if you have to go wider without changing wishbonne etc apart from knackerring wheel bearing any other benefits?

S_Gault
26-10-05, 01:29 PM
it also alters the KPI and KP offset.

lots to get wrong

burgo
26-10-05, 03:35 PM
the effects of wider front end will make it more stable at high speeds but more likely to over steer i think that was the case back in my karting days

S_Gault
26-10-05, 05:09 PM
karts are totally different.

definition of a kart is a chassis with no suspension.

wide track was developed for rallycross to allow them to use a different tyre.. thats all

Stuart
26-10-05, 06:27 PM
the entire chassis "is" the suspension on a Kart ;)

burgo
26-10-05, 08:43 PM
exactly and even if they dont have shocks and springs the whole theory behind handling is the same. fair enough it is slightly different for novas and karts because karts are rear wheel drive. put it this way my brother is a kart mechanic and can get paid between ?200 and ?300 for one weekend that is how much the set up and handling counts.

S_Gault
26-10-05, 10:54 PM
tell me about it.. my chassis was super in the wet coz it had more flex,

I raced karts for several seasons until i got badly hurt and wrote chassis off when another competitor used me as a brake (kart rolled). I still do lots of work for karts as my original uni thesis was in two stroke grand prix engines for aprillia and i have corner weight setup and alignment gear for them

now i sprint and hillclimb instead.

but you cant compare a kart with a car.. roll centres are totally different, one has limited camber change other has massive coz of bump and droop. its not same

Stuart
26-10-05, 10:58 PM
Stuart wrote:
its like asking will a kipper or a zebra give me more power

hmmm now its

Its like asking if a kipper or zebra will give better handling lmao