PDA

View Full Version : Drivesharft problem.

NovalutionGSi
24-10-05, 12:09 AM
right i have a slight problem.

my nova failed it MOT. 15 items in total, 5 of which were down to the rear brakes, which i had fitted brand new components and hadnt got them bedded in.

anyway a few minor silly things like fuel leak and fuel lines not fixed down in the engine bay, non matching headlight blubs and a poor beam on one head light. also a bottom ball joint and a few bits of welding needed to be done.

then the final more confusing one to sort out.

Drivers side drivesharft is fouling on the exhuast whent he car is jacked up/ lifted up. now its the weight on the sharft that is causing the problem. what i need to know is:
A, is this for balencing reasons that the weight is in that position?
B, could it be moved if the answer to A is yes?
C, has anyone else had this problem before? and what they did to over come it?

Cars been lowered -60mm and has a 4 branch manifold.

need some ideas/answers asap please guys.

Dan
24-10-05, 12:18 AM
i've always just flung the weight away on the shaft. Whether this is a good thing or not i dont know, but never had an effect on any of my cars lol.

NovalutionGSi
24-10-05, 12:32 AM
i shall put that forward to dad as a good option..... :lol: i mean its not as if you give your nova an easy life hey mate! :lol:

burgo
24-10-05, 01:25 AM
that "weight" is a torsional damper. if you have a haynes go to page 7.2 and it tells you the correct positioning of this damper. so it may be worth cheaking your is in the right place. if you dont have one then the correct position is 130mm/5.1 inches from the edge of the rubber boot. tbo this is a tad random as who says the boot is in the right place :? . this picture may also be of help as it shows the correct position of it
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/DSCN1502.jpg

p.s. i love how a fuel leak is a minor silly thing lol

NovalutionGSi
24-10-05, 08:25 AM
cheers burgo.... will dig out the haynes manual.... and the "silly" fuel leak is just a small thing to sort out compaired to other things i have to sort out.... the pain will be finding the leak as there is no tell tale sign of a wet patch on the floor! :o

burgo
24-10-05, 04:45 PM
cheers burgo.... will dig out the haynes manual.... and the "silly" fuel leak is just a small thing to sort out compaired to other things i have to sort out.... the pain will be finding the leak as there is no tell tale sign of a wet patch on the floor! :oget the lighter out so you can see abit better lmfao

please dont!!

NovalutionGSi
24-10-05, 09:10 PM
not that much of a muppet mate.....