PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 engine swap quick questions

Evil_lloyd
23-10-05, 11:23 PM
Evenin.

I have a 1.4Sr, (high milage) just been offered a good low milage 1.6gsi engine, which im thing of fitting. ive read the guides on here and elsewhere and doing the work isnt a problem (mechanic by trade).

The GSi engine ive been offered is standard, my Sr has a skimmed, polished and ported head with Kent cam. Is it worth swapping my head over or would the standard 1.6 head (with my kent cam fitted into it) be better as ive read that the 1.4 isnt a great head in the 1st place.

I want to run the Engine on carbs, have read about the use of webers but at moment thats out of my budget. will the original carb and manifold mate up to and run the 1.6 engine ok untill i can afford webers ( i know it wont give great performance).

Cheers for reading, hope someone can answer me so i know weather to bother buying the 1.6 motor.

Riggy
23-10-05, 11:49 PM
1st off yes use the 1.6 head with your kent cam - will be much better

2nd the 1.4 inlet and carb wont match mate , the 1.4 has a square type port where as the 1.6 is more round - it will bolt on but it WILL run worse then a 1.0 lol (please nobody say ive done it and it runs fine, it doesnt)

either hold onto the engine untill you can get the webbers then transplant it , or fit it with the injection (although then you would need tank, pump, ecu, and injection lines )

burgo
24-10-05, 01:03 AM

2nd the 1.4 inlet and carb wont match mate , the 1.4 has a square type port where as the 1.6 is more round - it will bolt on but it WILL run worse then a 1.0 lol (please nobody say ive done it and it runs fine, it doesnt)

either hold onto the engine untill you can get the webbers then transplant it , or fit it with the injection (although then you would need tank, pump, ecu, and injection lines )thats assuming it is a 1.4sr head. it may have been changed for a 14se/16se head in its past. c14se have the code stamped under the thermostat housing. and obviously the 1.6 head have 1.6 stamped on the front.

oh and if you didnt get the injection system with the 1.6 which im guessing is the case as you said about running it on the 1.4 carb and inlet then do use the 1.4 on the 1.6 bottom end. then you wanna sell the 1.6 head, get yourself a 14se head have it flowed and gets ya carbs then bolt that on for some more power :)

Evil_lloyd
24-10-05, 01:21 PM

either hold onto the engine untill you can get the webbers then transplant it , or fit it with the injection (although then you would need tank, pump, ecu, and injection lines )thats assuming it is a 1.4sr head. it may have been changed for a 14se/16se head in its past. c14se have the code stamped under the thermostat housing. and obviously the 1.6 head have 1.6 stamped on the front.

oh and if you didnt get the injection system with the 1.6 which im guessing is the case as you said about running it on the 1.4 carb and inlet then do use the 1.4 on the 1.6 bottom end. then you wanna sell the 1.6 head, get yourself a 14se head have it flowed and gets ya carbs then bolt that on for some more power :)

Cheers for the response. The Head is the original 1.4 SR head (its only got the Cam and head job cos i was bored) so for now ill bolt that onto the 1.6 bloack, using SR manifold and carb so i can get back on the road ASAP

I shall then get some pennys, and sort out a better head and webbers.

Im meant to be getting ECU with engine and some other bits, but no tank. besides, i cant be arsed with fuel injection and theres no breakers here to go and get a tank from.

Hopefully pick up the motor this week. i shall advertise any unwanted bits on here 1st then put them on Evilbay.
ta

burgo
24-10-05, 04:47 PM
i have a tank and lines plus a spare loom ;)

Evil_lloyd
24-10-05, 06:00 PM
Maybe you do but you dont live in the Channel Islands. :P

Ta for offer, but i will stick with me carb plan. I like the sound of webers.

Riggy
24-10-05, 09:41 PM
i have a tank and lines plus a spare loom ;)

gte/gsi loom lol i might need one :lol: