PDA

View Full Version : Help with me Brakes

SKoob
23-10-05, 12:38 PM
Right then guys, the scenario is that my 1.3SR's brakes have never really had any bite, so I have put 2l 16v brakes on and fitted a servo that I know was functioning well :| The brakes still have no bite :? I can lock the rears up first and they are standard drums. I have bled the brakes several times but found no air in there, I have tested the servo using the method in the haynes manual and it appears to be working, all pipes apear to be leak free and aren't bulging. The only thing I can think of it being is the master cylinder, but there no fluid loss :? Please help me guys and girls :lol:

STE Novavanman
23-10-05, 06:03 PM
now i dont know if im right in sayin this but aren't the brakes in sequence that the left front and rear right are connected and right front and rear left are connected through the two valves on the master cylinder also if you have gone for a bigger master cylinder this can upset the balance of the system making the rears lock up easy.

ste

SKoob
23-10-05, 06:08 PM
the servo is a 1.3SR item :wink:

craig green
23-10-05, 06:55 PM
It might be that the new master cylinder has the wrong bias valves for the weight of the Nova. I'd have kept the old master cylinder /servo set up tbh.

What car did this new master cylinder come off??

SKoob
23-10-05, 06:56 PM
I haven't changed the master cylinder yet :P I have changed the servo.

SRimon
25-10-05, 04:34 PM
I haven't changed the master cylinder yet :P I have changed the servo.

why did u change to another SR servo, they're the same size as all the small spec servo's hence brakes r always shit...

you want a gsi servo really, as for the brakes, i had a small leak on my master cylinder doing that

SKoob
25-10-05, 06:07 PM
because I needed the car useable that day

Riggy
25-10-05, 07:08 PM
silly one ben but are the calipers on upside down :oops: :lol:

SKoob
25-10-05, 07:12 PM
nope, next question :lol:

Ben
25-10-05, 07:15 PM
Leaking rear cylinders?

SKoob
25-10-05, 07:19 PM
Rear brakes work perfecty, as I said I can lock the rear us well before the fronts and theres no signs of leakage on the rears :? I'm gonna try a different master cylinder and different bias valves, been told the earlier novas have a different bias to the rear so putting some on 8)

mikey14sr
26-10-05, 06:19 PM
Are the front calipers seized? If both rear brakes are working then thats the only thing I can think of other than the bias valves not suiting the set-up.

SKoob
26-10-05, 06:20 PM
nah front brakes aren't siezed

scott.parker
26-10-05, 06:45 PM
I recon its just you,your not man enough to put the pedel down hard,lol..

But no mate this is a real puzzler,i know why Ben said about the rears leaking though as my pug van did exactaly this,and thats the main reason they do it,so i would go through the entire lines system looking for very small leaks,as if there is a slight one somewhere leting out fluid you cant see straight away,its noramly that type of thing,it was on the pug,and it hapend to be right up under the van.

Scott

Barn
26-10-05, 07:17 PM
as said fit a BIGGER servo from a gte/gsi

SRlew
27-10-05, 10:51 AM
if the callipers were seized, they wouldnt work at all would they?
is there anway to sort out seized callipers?

i think my standard sr ones are you see.

i didnt know about the front left rear right thing :?

Nova Full
27-10-05, 12:31 PM
I've only ever seen nova calipers sieze with the caliper piston pushed out thus it will appear that the brakes are always on

scott.parker
27-10-05, 12:39 PM
I have known them to seize halth way in on a clamping motion,if there like that the car pulls when braking and will pull when you let go of the wheel in a straight line.

Scott

SRlew
27-10-05, 03:15 PM
argh right. is there any way to fix them if there seized?

cause thats the exact symptems of my brothers car.

scott.parker
27-10-05, 04:10 PM
You need to take it off the car,and take it appart and copper grease the pot of the cliper piston.

Scott

SRlew
27-10-05, 05:19 PM
aright nice one scott.

so when the piston is out sort of thing, then copper grease it, then push it back in to put it back on the car?

also where can you get copper grease from? as iv just baught 16v brakes for mine and need to fit the next week ready for my mot

cheers, lew

mikey14sr
27-10-05, 07:42 PM
best to clean the piston up with some very fine wire wool onces it's out to remove any corrosion from it. Also, I was allways taught not to lubricate brake pistons with anything other than brake fluid.

cooper_nova
27-10-05, 08:12 PM
best to clean the piston up with some very fine wire wool onces it's out to remove any corrosion from it. Also, I was allways taught not to lubricate brake pistons with anything other than brake fluid.

thats very true mike

also whilst cleaning the piston up, check for pitting to the piston as this also causes the caliper to stick

scott.parker
27-10-05, 10:05 PM
Did i say to greas the piston????

SKoob
28-10-05, 05:58 PM
Just a quick question does the astra servo fit a nova?

cooper_nova
28-10-05, 06:03 PM
Just a quick question does the astra servo fit a nova?

your best bet would be to ask the parts person at vaux, altho tbh i don't see any real reason why it shouldn't fit/work :|

SRlew
29-10-05, 09:29 PM
can you actually take the piston out?
or do you just push it out abit and do it?

cheers, lew

Give it some rev
29-10-05, 10:03 PM
you dont need brakes, they slow you down.

chris

benji
30-10-05, 01:06 AM
when they were on my car i ran the 1.2 servo/mastercylinder. they were in my garagefor a while before you had them so check them over to make sure they arn't sticking

SKoob
30-10-05, 11:54 AM
These are a different set, the ones I had off you are on the 1.6 and feel like they will work properly :wink: