PDA

View Full Version : Budget Amp Help

novaco
18-10-05, 08:22 PM
ok......i hav 2x 12" JBL subs, 1x JBL 10" sub 2x 6*9's front components and tweeters!!!

what do i do??

what amp?? as said im on a budget and how many amps do i need?

could i put something just through my headunit??

i realy need help with this as i aint got a clue when it comes to ice!

Danker

Karl

Jack
18-10-05, 09:42 PM
What rating are the subs (RMS, PMPO and ohms)?

novaco
18-10-05, 10:09 PM
ermmmmm...... uve got me there razor......

all i no is that they are JBL 1000's

srs1
19-10-05, 09:28 AM
if you want to do it on the cheap then i would say 2 600watt amps but make sure they are 4 ways.

i dont see the point in the 2x12" and 1x10" subs. i would personally lose the 10".

i would do the 2x12" subs into a single 600watt amp (if money allows, get a monobloc amp)

then
if the tweeters are part of the component set then do them with the 6x9's.

but the main thing to think of is this.

alot of people dont see the point in 6x9's when you have technically the same speakers indivudaully.
but i like them.

so would put them in the middle of the car and not on the rear shelf so you can atleast get some beneift from them.

Jack
19-10-05, 04:39 PM
^ Deffo agree on the 6x9s there. Having equal sound all round you sounds far better than having all your music coming from the rear.

As for the subs.... is this the jobbie?

http://www.strathfield.com/images/SimpleProducts/Medium/GT410.jpg
JBL GT-4 10" (http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1922.html)
JBL GT-4 12" (http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1006.html)

Depends on your budget really, but I'd agree that three subs is excessive. Your best bet is to either ditch the 12's and keep the punchiness of the 10"; or sell the 10" and keep either one or both of the 12's and have a more rumbly bass but not as punchy as the 10.

As for an amp. You'll need one (or more) that can match the RMS output of your speakers (in the JBL case, 250W). Whats your budget? For about ?100 you should be able to pick up a half decent monoblock or two channel amp from ebay.

Also if you do sell on your spare subs, you'll have more money for an amp - and a decent amp can make all the difference. And don't forget to make up a properly sized sub box. A well set up single 10" can outperform two badly set up 12" subs...

srs1
19-10-05, 10:37 PM
and also make sure that you set up the power properly.

you'll need a decent amount of 4 gauge cable. a inline fuse up front.
a twin fuse junction box in the rear (this is because you might have 2 different rated amps)

then you'll need to earth both of them.
rca leads from the head unit to the amps (even a splitter if yo have only one pre-out on the hu)

and if the system is making your lights dim, pos a stronger alt (get a bosch one from an scrappy, off an xe) or a power cap.

srs1
19-10-05, 10:39 PM
forgot to say also.

depending on the music you listen too depends on which amp i'd lose.

10" are really made for faster beats, ie dance type of music
12" are designed for more heavier beat, ie r&b, rap etc.

15" aint worth it unless you spend silly money on an amp to get it to work. then you'll just end up with a head ache every time you drive.