PDA

View Full Version : Rear Arches

amggsi
17-10-05, 07:27 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked millions of times before, so apologies!!!

The rear arches on my GSi have seen better days and need replaced, so is it better to get arch repair panels (and if so do Vauxhall sell them? ) or actually replace the whole quarter panel?
Thanks
Adrian

Iain
17-10-05, 08:46 PM
Sorry if you already know this, but Sel Imperial sell replacement panels for Nova rear arches. You can get the rear arch (for a decent price) or full rear quarter panels.
I'd paste a direct link but it always ends up going to a different car on their site for some reason. :?

http://www.sel-imperial.co.uk

amggsi
17-10-05, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the link!!
I'm guessing the arch panels are really only as good as the person putting them on though? Trying to decide what my best option would be because I don't want to be doing them again a few years down the line......

Mel
18-10-05, 01:44 PM
Depends on how bad the rust is tbh..

The "arch" panel goes about 6 inches above the bottom of the lip (up to where the line along the side of the nova's sides go), and only curves down a little way to the bottom of the sill.

If you don't mind butchering your nova to bits, do the whole quarter panel.

I cut the "bad" steel out of the arches and just welded in an arch panel as opposed to the whole quarter panel. Takes a bit of beating to get it in, but works a treat.

If I remember right, benji put in a whole rear quarter??

Like I said, personally, I put in the arch panel as it seemed a bit daft to me to be replacing bits of the arch/car that didn't need replacing.

As far as I know, Vauxhall sell some repair panels, but they are a lot more ? than Sel..

amggsi
18-10-05, 07:03 PM
The arches are only really starting to go, so that's why I was asking if the arch replacements were any good!
Are the SEL panels good quality is the next question though!!!

Adam
18-10-05, 07:05 PM
Its pot luck really, some fit OK, some dont.

_JH_
18-10-05, 07:45 PM
try your local motors factors. Mine charge ?13 a side, and they're a good fit.

Mel
26-10-05, 09:43 AM
The arches are only really starting to go, so that's why I was asking if the arch replacements were any good!

If they are not that bad, then my suggestion would be to use the arch panel then as opposed to the WHOLE quarter panel, However, you have to make sure that you remove all the rust and treat the steel before even considering a replacement.

As for SEL its pot luck..well, I had trouble with the panels I got from them. They didn't quite fit right, but only needed slight adjustment to fit, plus there was no petrol hole (around the petrol cap), so we had to cut that out as well..

You do take pot luck, but, tbh, you pay for what you get. Think the panels were ?9 odd - (free P + P for me), so knew they werent going to be 100% at that price!

mikey14sr
26-10-05, 06:31 PM
just take your time if doing them yourself, I spent 6 days in total just on my drivers side and still had to play around with body hammers and filler.

Dont try to weld all around in one go because it'll warp like hell, tack or spot-weld a bit at a time and make sure the panel's cooled down in between.

scott.parker
26-10-05, 06:36 PM
My self if it was me (and i have never tryed to replace them) but i would buy GM ones and get them done by a pro.

Scott

amggsi
26-10-05, 07:46 PM
I probably could put them on myself, but I want it perfect so don't really trust myself!!! Leave it to the proffessionals!!!

I'm just trying to get the parts gathered up for the rebuild atm, but getting worried about the vinyl now!!!!