PDA

View Full Version : Handling

SKoob
17-10-05, 12:49 PM
Hi chaps and chapesses, what can I do to make my nova handle better?
I know the basic stuff like coilovers, removal of the ARB and fitting poly bushes, but what can I do further to that? What will rose jointing aid? I've also heard that lowering Tie-Bards/Rods gives an improvement. I've also heard GTE/GSi items are thicker aswell. I'm investing in a diff, getting the shell seam welded and getting a full cage, I'm just wondering really what can be done. :?
Cheers.

Stuart
17-10-05, 01:00 PM
what type of diff? quaife ATb, or plate? if youve not purchased one yet then id say go for a plate diff, ok it needs maintenece but its far far far better than an ATb imo of course lol.

lowering the frint tie bar mounts is a good nod, anti dive etc. and fairly cheap to do if you mod the std items

renewd the top mounts of the sus, or even get alloy adjustable ones to allow tweeking.

also decent tyres are obv the key to grip, if tracking it look for yoko A032/048's etc as they are still road legal. Also the khumo track tyres are pretty decent.

Dar
17-10-05, 03:10 PM
Don't forget the front and rear strut braces and when you get the cage put in tie it in to the A & B Pillars to add more strength and ridgity.

Stuart
17-10-05, 03:18 PM
dont bother with a rear brace that bolts to the shock tops....... they are next to no use. you need one that bolts/welds between the turrets.

Rexy
17-10-05, 04:44 PM
Rollcage ;)

And try a rear ARB from white line as well.

SKoob
17-10-05, 06:13 PM
Cheers guys, I've got a front strutbrace, but I'll be investing in a rear strutbrace, was looking into getting adjustable top mounts aswell, seen them going nice and cheap on ebay occasionaly, was looking at turreting the rear and getting proper rear colovers. In what way will fitting an ARB at the back make the car handle better? I was alwasys under the impresion, due to the design of the novas ARBs that it makes them understeer badly :?

Snowface
17-10-05, 06:42 PM
take out all intereior except drivers bucket seat and steering wheel/clocks.

not very
practical mind.

Stuart
17-10-05, 07:50 PM
Cheers guys, I've got a front strutbrace, but I'll be investing in a rear strutbrace, was looking into getting adjustable top mounts aswell, seen them going nice and cheap on ebay occasionaly, was looking at turreting the rear and getting proper rear colovers. In what way will fitting an ARB at the back make the car handle better? I was alwasys under the impresion, due to the design of the novas ARBs that it makes them understeer badly :?

the FRONT arb will induce understeer on a nova, but the rear one is fine/a must to fit

lee sweeney
17-10-05, 09:26 PM
you should think about fitting a quaife quick rack 2 turns lock 2 lock.also fit new solid clamps with pollybushes big big improvement i have fitted them to my nova excellent buy!!!!!!! :D

Dan
17-10-05, 09:48 PM
Personally not overly fussed on a rear brace, if the chassis if fully stitched and a decent cage of 6 points + is fitted along with a front brace that would give more than enough rigidity. As already mentioned sort the susp and tyres as they are the main key factors. quick rack is neither here nor there tbh, and wont improve the handling.

One of the biggest things over looked is how the front wheel geometry is setup, i have my own silly settings that i prefer for diffed and non diffed. Another thing i believe can be done is making a car to rigid. there has to be a fine line between absolutley solid and still having that small bit of give left so the tyres dont do all the work on their own. People might disagree with some of that but it works for me as my whole car has been setup by myself on what i think from trial and error.

Rexy
17-10-05, 10:15 PM
Don't listen to dan he's not got a clue :lol: