PDA

View Full Version : Turbo an throttle bodies?

Philsutton
16-10-05, 06:04 PM
Right got an idea going round my head im thinking of building another track car but this time going full on stupid with it a turbo, but at the same time not spending thousands an thousands. Wondered if anyone had any information of putting throttle bodies onto a let, i know a manta has it done. But to get any benefit from them am i going to have to do lots of other work to the engine or would it be better to just build it up as a standard turbo. Also it wont be in a nova due to novas being hard to get now, it will be a boggo looking corsa l or what ever they are called which are very disposable :D Any info would be great.

Lee
16-10-05, 07:45 PM
A guy around my way has a 106 on TB's with a supercharger blowing into them :lol: Makes a really wierd growly whining noise and goes like a clipped cat!! Apparently all he did was lower the compression and, obviously, get it mapped to cope.

scott.parker
16-10-05, 07:48 PM
Guess whos still toying with that cooper S charger idea! :lol: :wink:

Philsutton
16-10-05, 07:55 PM
thing is its not going to be that expensive to do, go on after market management and run the turbo stuff an throttle bodies off it. I think im going to do it anyway :D

Lee
16-10-05, 08:02 PM
rekon the most difficult thing would be to make a decent airbox which will supply an even amount of air to all the pots. Maybe a sort of 4 branch inlet manifold or something?

Philsutton
16-10-05, 08:10 PM
we have pretty much worked that out :D

m.d.
16-10-05, 09:38 PM
i was going to turbo my 8v on carbs. you can get them modded with rubber seals rather than paper ones so they take boost,

dellortos make some as standard like it,

also all you need to do is fit the carbs to the let, then get a turbo fuel pressure regulator and run an injection pump,
the regulator is about 50 quid and all you do is connect a boost pipe up to it and it increaces the fuel pressure when on boost, sorted,

srs1
16-10-05, 09:50 PM
yes, that manta has got it done. if you want his phone number give me a shout phil. i know him.

dan16v
16-10-05, 10:52 PM
what power you after phil? cant realy see the point in it if you only want around 300hp? just making work for your self!, next step up to 400hp, if done proper would need a fair few other engine parts and alot of????

m.d.
18-10-05, 06:51 PM
what power you after phil? cant realy see the point in it if you only want around 300hp? just making work for your self!, next step up to 400hp, if done proper would need a fair few other engine parts and alot of????

by removing the standard manifold you get much better throttle response and power delivery, less lagg to as the engine can breathe easily, its a really good way to do things on a turbo track car,

dan16v
18-10-05, 10:38 PM
the std manifold is perfectly fine for a circa 300hp engine, what im saying is if he wants the sort of power that warrents a new manifold then the rest of the engine would cost a fair bit to build to make it worth while!. and throttle response? i doubt youd tell the difference when it boosts and you end up in the armco :lol:

Rick Draper
19-10-05, 05:49 PM
DD was running a stock inlet manifold on his LET at 425bhp.

CP
19-10-05, 07:11 PM
TB's are pretty much exclusively to do with improving airflow for n/a set ups. Using them in a turbo set-up would be poor VFM
A decent TB set up would probably give quicker lap times for the money invested than a turbo one even if they were producing quite a lot less power. (assuming the car's handling and braking was sorted for track use)

If you want to use a turbo for track use producing big power you will need to come to terms with the effects of lag. I dont see TB's with the turbo particularly doing much for this you couldn't sort more effectively by other methods. Its likley to cost alot to get it fettled so its really useful on track

dan16v
19-10-05, 09:44 PM
yep save the cash for a decent suspension set up/brakes/cage etc. not sure what brakes etc you have, but im sure a decent 4pot set up would save you more time round the track than putting tb's on a let for better throttle response! then some decent coil overs and experiment with poundage, camber etc.

leemh1234
21-10-05, 07:57 PM
dreamer