PDA

View Full Version : c20xe vs 16T40

bob
14-10-05, 08:04 PM
rite people i have been thinking about this for a while now, as i am thinking about handling aspects as well as power,but would a 1600 8v running on t40s with decent manifold and system, and maybe cam n headwork,have as much presence on the road as a c20xe with powercap and decent system?

I am trying to build my SR into my ideal car but i am confused over engines now i see the smaller blocks getting tuned...i like the torque and reliable bhp on tap of the xe, but the weight distribution and simpleness of the 1600 8v tuned is swaying me a little...where can i find out more to compare the pros and cons?

leemh1234
14-10-05, 09:47 PM
c20xe is heaver and u got drive shafts to contend with.i'd go for a 1.6 on t40's head work and cam should c u with 150-160bhp.my mate had a 1.6 with that work and it made 158bhp on the rollers.people down sant pod thought he had an xe init.they where very suprised to find a ropey gte lump in there with a set of 40's bolted on it.hope that helps mate 8)

Jim
14-10-05, 10:35 PM
Can I ask what time your mate was putting down at santa pod?

Jim

Rick Draper
14-10-05, 11:50 PM
Can I ask what time your mate was putting down at santa pod?

Jim

And what RR he went on.

Stuart
15-10-05, 07:57 AM
dan was pushing (and probably past) several 20 xe's, atleast one was on TB's + cams etc........ might have been an everso slightly different sorty on a long track, but in all fairness it holds its own up to the kind of speeds you'd be doing on a longer track too lol.

its totally up to you matey. XE + decent suspension = (roughly) 1.6+ mods to get xe power and slightly cheaper sus for same result....cost wise

leemh1234
15-10-05, 11:49 AM
15sec dead 1/4.dunno wot rollers 8)

Dan
15-10-05, 01:37 PM
the time is respectable, but the power figure is a tad out tbh. still nice to hear of others out there tho 8)

As regards the topic, its a double sided coin this one. When i built mine it was to be a bit different and to prove some points. BUT as stuart has quite rightly said its more down to personal preference and how far you want to go. Cost is pretty much same same to get the performance, just that with an xe you can carry on tuning for stupid power if so desired.

srs1
15-10-05, 03:23 PM
agreed with dan on the power thingy.

i would say, a xe will give you that 150bhp on tap almost straight away. where as the 8v will need a couple of hundred pumped into it to make it to that level.

then, you'd have to pay the extra money saved on the xe on brakes, suspension and shafts.

so as said, it does balance itself out in the long run.

i would also consider this, do you have the facilities to convert the engine bay to take an xe (more costs involved)

push comes to shove, i'd stay with a small block and play with it.

-Bruce-
15-10-05, 03:36 PM
Sort of argeeing with most above. I think you need to see what type of car you want?? If its a everyday car for getting to work etc and some track days then i get a xe, it also gives you more options if you want to get more power. The xe has soo much more torque than a modded 1600 8v, and this is realy good on the motorway and general driving.

The 1600 8v is prob beter around a track and general handling, but you need to rev it more to get that power/torque. And i pessonaly think that would do my head in if i had to drive my car everyday. And with hardly any torque its not realy a cruiser on the motorway either. Not sure on other guys torque outputs but mine is not very good. only 113ftlb!!

Your call mate. But i would say get a 20xe, even though i dont realy like them in novas lol. Would be a much better drive for me!!

Bruce

Dan
15-10-05, 05:58 PM
sorry bruce torque isnt an issue and there is no lack of it all. Also i have never rev'd the hell out of mine to get the power. The whole point of my engine has always been good low down power and midrange which is why my total bhp isnt all that but i can make it do what it does without a struggle. (probably also the fact why after 40k odd the engine still sucks in the abuse and smiles back)

It is hard to explain but those that have driven it/been in it will know what i mean. Once out on the road unless you go less than 16mph only fifth is needed for all occasions be it over taking or just general cruising. (also your about 20lbft down on my peak if figures/graphs are to be believed. By 2800rpm i am on 120lbft and still climbing steady as memory serves.)

Nick
15-10-05, 07:51 PM
Dunno if your aware dan, but mines done now as well !

I went for a Kent NVO cam which is quite mild..

basically i'l agree with dan on the issue of torque, mine pulls and pulls hard ! as soon as you get traction in 2nd gear it torque steers all over the spot !

For a driveable fun factor, go for the 1.6T40, it's great having something near XE power that you can chuck around corners + cheaper insurance

Dan
15-10-05, 08:07 PM
as soon as you get traction in 2nd gear it torque steers all over the spot !

I'd seriously look at having your susp geometry set out and replace any worn bushes etc. Having the tracking set a certain way and allow some camber on the fronts along with the rest will make nearly all of what you describe non existant. Out of all my nova creations i've never experienced torque steer be it before or after diff. (unless i hold on to the steering wheel to tight lol but it all helps) :lol:

Nick
16-10-05, 02:29 AM
It's all been set up properly - i'm running gmax which probably doesn't help !

it had powerflex poly bushes when i did the suspension, but i'l check them for wear - but it pulls pretty bad when in 2nd

Philsutton
16-10-05, 02:02 PM
all im going to say is look at my old one an dans, each time dan seemed to come out on top by about 2 thousands of a second. He was getting quicker times an i was geting faster terminal speeds but not by a lot they were pretty much the same.

-Bruce-
16-10-05, 05:17 PM
Yeh i can imagine you having more torque lower down than me Dan. I should have realy said that the xe has more torque than my 1600 8v and will pull much better lower down. I would not say that my engine is not torquey its just not got that much gooo down the bottom end of the revs.

What is jims engine like low down?? As his engine is similar to mine, not sure if the carbs will help with low down over my std inlet??

Bruce

Jim
16-10-05, 06:44 PM
What is jims engine like low down?? As his engine is similar to mine, not sure if the carbs will help with low down over my std inlet??

Bruce

You sure about that? In your feature it says:

Engine: standard with a power boost valve and a k&n and 4 branch manifold and a janspeed full system.

Mines a little bit more modded than standard ;)

Unfortunately I didn't get a print out at the Rolling Road so I can't say what the torque is, but tbh, it drives ok, so it's all by the by with me.

Jim

benji
17-10-05, 02:03 AM
bruce's has been tweeked a bit since then jim. similar spec to yours but without the 40's and with dta(i think) managment

-Bruce-
17-10-05, 05:17 PM

Bruce

You sure about that? In your feature it says:

Engine: standard with a power boost valve and a k&n and 4 branch manifold and a janspeed full system.

Mines a little bit more modded than standard ;)

Unfortunately I didn't get a print out at the Rolling Road so I can't say what the torque is, but tbh, it drives ok, so it's all by the by with me.

Jim

yeh not realy been bothered filling in the feature. As benji says its same spec as yours but with std inlet and MBE.

Bruce