PDA

View Full Version : Some good news re the corsa and mot laws

Ben
14-10-05, 06:52 PM
Went into my local test center today to drop a car off and he was asking about progress on the V6 etc and i asked about the CAT laws for 1993> registered cars.

Basically if your car was made before 1995 and the engine code (eg C16 XE) does not match the code saved on file for the car then you are not required to have a cat fitted to the car.

Obviously as my car is having an engine transplant then the code is not going to match the stored code so i dont have to legally have a cat fitted.

AVE IT :!:

Jack
15-10-05, 02:19 PM
I was under the impression that the age of the car only defines how they test it - so post-Aug '93 has a CAT test, pre-Aug '93 will be non-CAT test

You're not tested on the presence of a CAT but the emissions - so if you don't have a CAT thats not reason for refusal*, but if you car fails the emissions because you have no CAT then you'll fail...

*some garages could argue a missing CAT falls under the failure section of "section of exhaust missing/damaged" but i think this refers more to actual physical sections missing as opposed to sections that have been replaced (i.e. cat replaced by decat pipe)

Ste_Nova
15-10-05, 04:18 PM
mines a late K plate

with c16se fitting instead of 1.2i

he didn't even test it cause the computer didn't understand the engine change :lol:

Ben
15-10-05, 04:20 PM
he didn't even test it cause the computer didn't understand the engine change :lol:

Yeah thats the one

Phil GTE
15-10-05, 05:58 PM
Good find Ben, pity none of my cars are that new.... :cry: