PDA

View Full Version : up up and away....

sickrabbit
12-10-05, 09:28 PM
Has anyone on the Novaload site ever used a power kite ? The sort that pulls surfers across waves n stuff ? I was given one for my birthday , and dying to have a go , but its peed down all day here and for the next week or so I ,m working late , so it,ll be dark when I get in ....
What are they like .....??

Dar
13-10-05, 12:16 PM
I have several power kites. They are the non-water launchable ones though. So not like the ones the kite surfers use. Flying them is the same though. If its your first time with a power kite wait for the wind to drop so that its no more than a breeze, because if its a big powerful kite will will get dragged like a ragdoll.

Things to remember are :-
1) Know how the saftey works and make sure its working!
2) If you can de-power the kite then don't launch it fully powered up.
3) The minimum power in the wind window is directly above you and 90 degrees to your left and right.
4) Be bloody careful.
5) Have fun!!! :twisted:

Me and one of my kites
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/Kite4Small.jpg

sickrabbit
13-10-05, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the advise mate , the kite Ive got is a bullit 2.5 , and like yours non water launchable. I know these things can really rip , so i ,ll go careful in a light breeze till later ....I just hope it doesnt flare my back injury up , as I ,m just recovering .

novamadcars
13-10-05, 08:52 PM
all sounds like fun and sorry 2 here about your babk problems sickrabbit

sickrabbit
13-10-05, 11:13 PM
Cheers pal !! I,ll tell you this - I wouldnt wish a bad back on anyone - they aint funny.......couldnt larf , couch or whatever....

maybe gettin yanked across an open field by a big kite on a gusty day will either kill or cure the problem...

look up people - you never know , you may see a fat bloke clinging on for dear life .

sickrabbit
16-10-05, 03:04 PM
I took my new toy for a fly this afternoon...it was quite windy but I never knew that these things could be so powerful . Dar , mate , you werent kidding about being careful.......the bullet pulled me along as if I were made of paper - I just couldnt hold it - in fact it had to be packed away.

Wussed it.

Rexy
16-10-05, 03:24 PM
That looks funky :D

I wana go but with a skate/mountain board

Dar
16-10-05, 03:55 PM
I also have a 2.5 Bullet. They are damn good kites. They have good lateral pull but not too much vertical pull. Perfect for use with a mountain board. I also have a mountain board that I use with the kites, which is fun fun fun!!!

Next time you go out lean back when you feel the power come in and you can kinda land ski :twisted: its called scudding.

The nice thing about the 2.5 bullet is that it has a very wide range of wind speeds that you can use it in. Glad you made it back without killing yourself ;) Its a real eye opener isn't it, you just don't think that they can be so powerful. Watch out they are addictive! :P