PDA

View Full Version : XE on carbs

Rob77
07-10-05, 06:26 PM
Right guys - help needed!

I am building an XE engine, and need to know what the deal is when running carbs.

I plan on running 48's (either Weber or Dellorto), and have a C20XE out of a Cav GSi 1991 with the distributor.

As I am rebuilding the engine I am bolting sensors to the engine - knock sensor, crank position sensor, etc... But I have been told that they aren't needed when running carbs.

I am aware that the ECU becomes obsolete, as does most of the loom.

So what do I need to run carbs?

- Inlet manifold (obviously)
- Coil?
- Distributor? (Or do I need the dis-pack thing off later models?)
- Fuel pump? (I have a 1.2spi)
- Fuel pressure regulator?
- Lambda sensor on exhaust?

Any help is appreciated.

Rob.

Adam
07-10-05, 06:45 PM
The dizzy on fuel injected cars isn't a true dizzy, it does not advance/retard the timing.
Carb dizzys do, as they use vacuum etc.

You need management to advance etc the timing, as the standard xe dizzy wont do that, as its the ecu that does the timing using values from the dizzy and other sensors etc.
I dont know if you can use a different dizzy with a vac advance.

Lambda sensor is good to see what the fuel/air mixture is like, so yeah fit one.

I think most of what i've said is correct anyway :wink: :lol:

Mike
07-10-05, 06:49 PM
^^ got there before me, you said it! :lol:

Snowface
07-10-05, 09:33 PM
think you can use the dizzy from a 2.0 8v or big block 1.6 8v.

There is a way round it. someone else will know exactly.

S_Gault
07-10-05, 09:40 PM
yea you can do it.. 1.8 manta works too but the advance curve is totally wrong.

it depends if you want a bodge , but judging by the spec of your car you want to do it right.. and a mapped ignition system will certainly help an engine on 48s (40mm choke), especially when it comes to mot time as you can run the timing at 0 deg at idle to cure the hydrocarbon problem (which you will have)

Steven

Chris
08-10-05, 08:51 AM
Mk2 Cavalier 1600 dizzy and coil setup bolt straight on, but they are very hard to find. They come with a little bit of wiring loom that links them together.

Chris

Rob77
08-10-05, 10:05 AM
Mk2 Cavalier 1600 dizzy and coil setup bolt straight on, but they are very hard to find. They come with a little bit of wiring loom that links them together.

Chris

Is this what you mean:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8003940752&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Cheers for the help guys!

Rob.

-Bruce-
08-10-05, 10:44 AM
Yeh that looks like a carb dissy. But i would not be paying that much for it, just for the fact it has some super turbo leads!!

But as said by steven, get proper mappable ignition that just runs your spark/timimg issues. Not that sure on this but most of the original sensors on the 20xe can be used when fitting a mappable ecu(ignition only).

Bruce

Rob77
12-10-05, 07:29 PM
Would this coil be ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2496155331&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Rob.