PDA

View Full Version : Time to go big block (transmission)

C-S_Cormac
07-10-05, 11:46 AM
Basicly been running a 2L 8V in my nova with a modded 1.5 flywheel and F13cr box, acceleration is very impressive..

But im now in the process of an engine re-build, adding twin carbs, kent cam and flowed head, With the added bhp and torque would i be wise to consider maybe going for an F16 or F18 box and the bigger shafts? My main worry is could the F13 handle the hoped 160bhp and extra torque??

Any ideas/experences would be great here

thanks

MARTIN KELSON
07-10-05, 12:09 PM
To my knowledge the the gearbox codes stand for the max torque the box can handle, so if your going to go way past 130lb/ft of torque that box will not cope.
I would think about the F16, prob your best option.

C-S_Cormac
07-10-05, 12:21 PM
Ive an F18 here out of a td astra, ive heard these are quite good for acceleration?

I know id need the stronger shafts but if i was using the F18 which flywheel and clutch would i use bearing in mind the TD flywheel is the pot type and the 2L 8v is flat..

MARTIN KELSON
07-10-05, 03:38 PM
If it was me i would stick with the F16 as you know its gonna fit and no hastle with clutch etc.
F18 might end up being more hastle than its worth.
Could do with finding out the ratios and final drive of the F18 to see if its worth the trouble.

scott.parker
07-10-05, 06:09 PM
Basicly been running a 2L 8V in my nova with a modded 1.5 flywheel and F13cr box, acceleration is very impressive..

But im now in the process of an engine re-build, adding twin carbs, kent cam and flowed head, With the added bhp and torque would i be wise to consider maybe going for an F16 or F18 box and the bigger shafts? My main worry is could the F13 handle the hoped 160bhp and extra torque??

Any ideas/experences would be great here

thanks

I best not tel my mate about this post then els he will worry him self silly,his 1.6 turbo is running more then that.

http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=2953

Scott

Jim
07-10-05, 09:35 PM
Scott, as Martin mentioned, it is the torque that you need to be concerned about, not the bhp. If your mate is running over 130lb/ft then perhaps he should change to an F16 (again as Martin suggested) otherwise he will be fine.

Jim

S_Gault
07-10-05, 09:38 PM
the thing that breaks shafts is when you putting on a lot of steering lock on and put foot down.

keiths wee 1300 broke a cv...

id prob go the f16 route

Aragorn
08-10-05, 12:27 AM
F18 is entirely compatible with the F16 flywheel/clutch etc so dont worry about that

find the ratio code, it'll be stamped on it somewhere and it'll proll be something like W394 or perhaps C355 or something like that

C-S_Cormac
10-10-05, 11:50 AM
Just looked at the F18, its got W 357 stamped on it.. is this good or bad???

Would this be a better box for take off than the F16?

Thanks a million for replys so far :D

Jim
10-10-05, 04:54 PM

The stamp means you have a wide ratio gearbox with a 3.57 Final Drive. What this basically means is the gearbox will be good for top end speed, but not so great for acceleration.

I'd just like to stress I don't know if the same rules apply to the larger gearboxes as I'm running an F13 Close Ratio box with a 4.53 Final Drive, for all I know the 3.57FD is the highest FD for the F18 gearbox, however, I'd have thought that there should be a higher Final Drive available for the F18 gearbox that should increase acceleration.

Jim

P.S. Steven, Keiths isn't your average "wee 1300" though is it?

burgo
10-10-05, 05:08 PM

The stamp means you have a wide ratio gearbox with a 3.57 Final Drive. What this basically means is the gearbox will be good for top end speed, but not so great for acceleration.

I'd just like to stress I don't know if the same rules apply to the larger gearboxes as I'm running an F13 Close Ratio box with a 4.53 Final Drive, for all I know the 3.57FD is the highest FD for the F18 gearbox, however, I'd have thought that there should be a higher Final Drive available for the F18 gearbox that should increase acceleration.

Jim

P.S. Steven, Keiths isn't your average "wee 1300" though is it?

i beleave astra k2 gte f20's have the highest ratio which is 4.18 i think. maybe wrong though brain aint working properly lol

C-S_Cormac
11-10-05, 12:35 PM
Maybe an F16 is the way too go then cause i dont want too lose any of my current acceleration.

My nxt worry would be the shafts, as been highlighted before the CV joints would be the problem, Would the PVD/courtney etc ones be better than making my own??

cheers

alistairolsen
12-10-05, 08:14 PM
get an f16cr box, a pair of gte driveshafts and a set of mk2 cav 1.6 inner cvs.