PDA

View Full Version : Drilled Airbox

Paul
05-10-05, 11:52 PM
Right who's done it then?

I read somewhere about it the other night, decided to give it a go this afternoon.

I had a K&N Panel Replacement filter already in my car, Standard SRi.

I drilled 15 evenly spaced 20mm holes 1x1.5" apart, on the underside of the airbox casing.

Before the noise wasn't noticeable and it felt like it died slightly towards higher revs esp. in 3rd, 4th and 5th. I never drove it with a standard filter as the K&N came with the car when i bought it.

Since drilling the airbox I am most impressed. The noise is a very deep growl low down, goes to a loud roar at high revs. Sounds ace in my opinion better than a cone filter.

It also seems to rev quicker slightly, and keeps pulling better at higher revs. Im not saying it added 10bhp or anything, I am just commenting on my personal findings.

When you actually take the airbox out, you can see really how restirctive it is, the air can only come in through a 3x2" slot in the front from a cold air feed in the grill. The panel filter is still encased in the box, too keep heat down, and hot air rises and the holes are in the underside of the box, so it wont allow any hot air near the filter unlike the cone filters.

By no way am i saying its made it quicker, but it certainly seems to pull harder throught the rev range.

So for any SRi/GTE/GSi owners, if you are after an air filter, I highly recommend a replacement performance panel filter, and drilling your airbox, cost ?40ish for filter, drilling free, cone filters for the cars are aroun ?60 upwards.

I know I'm going to get some sarcy comments like 'oh thanks for that info' but just thought I'd post for those of you who may be interested.

Paul

Ben
05-10-05, 11:55 PM
Quite right Paul, a few tuning companies have proven many times that you are far better off with the Drilled airbox over a cone filter.

burgo
06-10-05, 01:55 AM
yeah but these days it only seems to be chavs with .1 saxo's who put them on cos they look cool and give them "25bhp" lol. you'll find most sensible people have a panel filter and plenty of cold air feeds

-tucny-
06-10-05, 08:35 AM
yeah but these days it only seems to be chavs with .1 saxo's who put them on cos they look cool and give them "25bhp" lol. you'll find most sensible people have a panel filter and plenty of cold air feeds

heres one iv heard so many times:

"its a VTR but its got the same power as a standard VTS coz iv put an induction kit on and a performance back box----- from power flow!"

i drilled the air box on my company car because i was fed up with the winey little engine sounding like it was struggleing to get to 30. as said it costs fuck all.

Jack
06-10-05, 08:40 AM
^ lol I went to a RR once where a saxo VTS with cone filter and back box made 140bhp... :lol:

dunova
06-10-05, 11:26 AM
(On my Omega) i just cut the complete bottom off my airbox :lol:

bump
07-10-05, 04:24 PM
i picked up a spare from a scrappy for doing this after reading about it on mig. i noticed a slight pick up increase, though could have just been my mind. the loclk horse riders don't like it tho :lol: