PDA

View Full Version : cross member

MPP_RUSSELL
05-10-05, 08:24 PM
hey all, had a crack in the cross member a little while ago that i welded up by the tie rod brackett. Got it up on the ramp today for its monthly service and noticed that the whole cross member in that area is breaking up! Looks to be rot under the paint! Looks like its gota be a new cross member, whats involved in changing it (alignment wise) and cost of a new one? cheers.

MPP_RUSSELL
05-10-05, 08:55 PM
anyone?

-tucny-
05-10-05, 10:23 PM
i put a whole new panel on mine. it was a blag to get off - trying to find all the spot welds to drill em out. the bottom section was hardest to get to as some of the welds were through the bottom of the chassis leg and were tricky to get too.

if i was you id replace the whole front panel. it will give a few more years to it this way. good experiance too, and not too hard to line up.

Cost:

?65 front panel
?5 welding wire
?5 gas
?20 - ?60 paint

cornish
07-10-05, 12:27 AM
Take a load of measurements before you remove the front panel so you know exactly where to put the new one back on.

Austin_Nova16
11-10-05, 11:05 AM
Well, Russ took the engine out on Sat, And what an abortion of a cross-member we found.

Whoever replaced it before must have carried a white stick, because the effort was poor!

Hopefully it should be sorted fairly soon, but there are a few other areas that were previously seam sealed, that will now get proper attention.