PDA

View Full Version : Lightend Engine parts....Crank and Fly.

NovalutionGSi
04-10-05, 09:03 PM
just wondering about these.

have some spare cash about at the mo and have a spare Block to be rebuilt, re-bored, new pistons etc and i'm tempted into getting a Lightend Crank and FLywheel.

What i would like to know is the following.....
a, the main benifits.... reduced rotational mass etc?
b, where would be the best place to buy
And c, what sort of price for etc one....

mowgli
06-10-05, 09:26 PM
unless you are planning to enter some serious form of motorsport, where every last fraction of horsepower is necessary, then lightening components is simply a good way to spend money. remember the average race engine's life is counted in hours (and not many of them)

spending money on a bigger bore engine would probably give better results

rebuilding an engine with balanced internals will give a smoother engine & thus give better reliability.

Stuart
06-10-05, 09:33 PM
jsut to add to that.

buying a "balanced" fly and crank, you are best off getting Std items then sending them off to a machine shop with the pistons and conrods that you intend on using so its all lightened and balanced at the same time, otherwise you could have a perfectly balanced fly, but couple that with a non complementary balanced crank etc it could shake the car to bits...

Lee
06-10-05, 11:52 PM
another thinng to think about as well as that is a lightened fly coupled with a particularly lumpy cam will make it idle even lumpier! (not that i think that will bother you mate? :lol: )

burgo
07-10-05, 12:26 AM
lightened and balenced stuff also makes a more reliable engine as there is less strain put of all the components

scott.parker
07-10-05, 05:58 PM
Am i right in thinking the lightning of the fly makes/helps the engine rev freer and spin up quicker and also help with it slowing down under engine braking etc??

if im right i let me know,i have given it some though on getting lighter fly and bottom ally pully wheel,are these parts going to be any good for what i wish to use the car for?

Oh and NovalutionGSi,i have heard of a guy on mig from scotland,canrt member his name now,im sure he dose these type parts for half the price of say regal etc.

Scott

Dan
07-10-05, 07:59 PM
another thinng to think about as well as that is a lightened fly coupled with a particularly lumpy cam will make it idle even lumpier! (not that i think that will bother you mate? :lol: )

ermm hello, you of all people that have seen/heard/been in my car should know thats not necesarily true lol, esp as mine has been fully lightened and balanced with a biggish cam etc to suit :lol: :roll: purs like a kitten on tickover and not lumpy in the slightest at any point

S_Gault
07-10-05, 09:24 PM
i agree dan.. with a cam a lightened flywheel sometimes helps.

but its sometime a case of who set the car up... if yours is nice then its been done well, but not everyone does as good a job.

... if it was my car I would always lighten the flywheel.

last one i did for the 1600 16v ive just finsihed here is a steel one running a 7.5 in clutch. lighter the better.

sure single seaters have them as small as they can get the clutch plate

Lee
07-10-05, 10:22 PM
ermm hello, you of all people that have seen/heard/been in my car should know thats not necesarily true lol, esp as mine has been fully lightened and balanced with a biggish cam etc to suit :lol: :roll: purs like a kitten on tickover and not lumpy in the slightest at any point

Yeah I hear you mate, but YOU of all people should know that your car is a bit of a trend breaker when it comes to things like this! Carbs that run perfectly without ever needing tuneups, and drinking very little fuel comes to mind, a biggesh cam on an 8v that isnt lumpy, 14.3 second quartermile times etc etc.. LOLOLOL :lol:

Mine has a lightend fly, and i did notice slightly more lumpyness on tickover after having it done, as did a mate of mine with an 8v Golf (and his engine was balanced by TSR themselves)due to less weight going round kepping the engine running.

Think i need you to come round and blow some of your pixie dust on it (read what you want into that comment by the way :roll: ) lol

NovalutionGSi
08-10-05, 02:17 PM
Cheers for the input guys...

the number of times i've had my engines from 3 novas apart i'm fairly happy with how to rebuild them and coupled with Dad's long experiance as well i'm sure we'll make a good job of putting it back together, i mean we did bring back a 1.4SR up to its book figure with just a K&N and rebuild.

now heres how to sound thick.... What does the balencing process invole? will they need the block as well?

Steven's given me some prices already so i have an idea of what its going to cost, althou i can see the carriage costs being on par with the price of the work! :lol:

Car is still off the road at the mo, got the engine stripped down to find that it was possilbe just a dodgy head gasket that caused it to fail this time. Spare blocks ready to be stripped and then bored.