PDA

View Full Version : CAN I UPRATE MY ELECTRICS TO COPE WITH SPOTLIGHTS?

tony8169
04-10-05, 09:07 AM
I am just about to put two cibie super oscar fog lights and two spot lights on the front of my nova, i would like to know what i can do to uprate my electrics so i know everything is going to be OK?

i dont want to start melting wires, or letting my battery get flat, so can i uprate my altenator?
i will be running relays with the lights, so i am hoping that melting wires will be not happening.
any advice welcome (i need it).
Cheers,
Tony.

Jack
04-10-05, 09:30 AM
I fitted two Ring 180cm lamps in my bumper on the nova, with 130W bulbs and had no trouble with power. Used PIAA 60W draw bulbs and a standard wiring kit for the lamps, linked to full beam on the main headlights.

Just make sure you fuse it near the battery and use relatively big wires and you should be fine.

tinyrally1
04-10-05, 03:33 PM
i run two Cibie Super Oscars on my rally car and have used 3mm thin wall automotive cable as well as the relays. It may be slightly over the top but i have never had any problems. Make sure they are earthed well cos i thnik Cibies have H1 bulbs in them and they not very cheap

NovalutionGSi
04-10-05, 08:53 PM
Glad someone's asked the question....at trax i picked up a Rally light pod mould and havnt done anything with it yet..... but the guy i bought it off did mention to uprate the altenator. as of yet i have no lights so needed ideas on what to buy and where from.

i did buy a set of Ring (7" or whatever size they were!) on the bumper and used the wiring kit that Ring do as well. Relay is Rated to 30A so i was thinking of using that along with a second one for the 2nd pair just to make sure.