PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall Nova 1.0 OHV Hatch - Few Questions!

Ste-V
02-10-05, 01:41 PM
Hiya!

I'm new round here so bear with me if I do something wrong :wink:

Ok. I'm 15 years old and I own a Vauxhall Nova 1.0 Overhead Valve Hatchback. My first ever car was a Cavalier SRi 2.0 which i bought when I was 11 and sold when a few months later when I was 12 for 125 quid profit :P

Anyway, It's a shame, but I'm actually going to be banger racing this Nova at Christmas, at Warton (Nr. Carnforth, Lancaster). I'm racing it in a Junior bangers event, 1.4 being the maximum engine size, so obviously, alot of em will leave me standing.

Anyway, I need a little help. My car is running rich. It stinks, and the plugs are all choked up. Also, it misses alot. Anyway, I've adjusted the tick over as it was running too slow, but I can't find the fuel mixture screw (it is a screw right?). Could anyone point me in the right direction? Not sure what kinda carb it is, just standard jobby I think.

Also, I'm going to adjust the tappets. Any ideas as to what size feeler guage I need to use?

That's pretty much all I can remember at the moment, hope you guys can help!

Thanks,

Ste-V.

125scouse
02-10-05, 02:20 PM
my m8 kev races at warton in the superbangers, his names Kev known as Scouse :lol:

Ste-V
02-10-05, 02:51 PM
:)

I'd know him if you told me his number.

EDIT: The carb is a weber.

125scouse
02-10-05, 04:09 PM
his numbers 48, known as scouse, :wink:

Adam
02-10-05, 04:10 PM
LOL.
Selling cars at 12yrs old, madness :lol:

Anyways, IIRC the mixture screw is on the side of the carb, close to where the choke cable is, hard to explain without a pic, but its in the middle of the choke cable side.

The carb is a weber 32TL.

Ste-V
02-10-05, 04:25 PM
Ok cheers mate.

Couple more questions:

1) Any idea on feeler guage size(s) for tappets?

2) Any tips on how to get it running a bit better? I don't mind too much really as it's going round the track but I wanna get it as close as possible.
It misses quite alot.

General Baxter
02-10-05, 04:27 PM
LOL.
Selling cars at 12yrs old, madness :lol:

is your name andy by any chance? :wink:

Adam
02-10-05, 04:35 PM
Ok cheers mate.

Couple more questions:

1) Any idea on feeler guage size(s) for tappets?

2) Any tips on how to get it running a bit better? I don't mind too much really as it's going round the track but I wanna get it as close as possible.
It misses quite alot.
Lol at baxter.

Do you have a haynes manual? Adjusting valve clearences is explained in there.

As for mis firing, could try doing a service, plugs, leads, dizzy cap etc

Ste-V
02-10-05, 09:17 PM
Gonna get ma dad to go down to the library :P and get us one tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm just gonna go round, check plugs - clean em up, adjust tappets, check points etc.
Problem is, as it's only going round a banger track, I don't wanna spend anything. I don't even have to do this, I could send it out as it is, but I wanna get it running as best as I can.

And to think, me, who doesn't know anything wants to become a Mechanic :p

Ah well, my Grandad and Uncle have a garage. My Grandad is going to retire soon so I'm going into a partnership (probably) with my Uncle.
Oh well, I'll learn slowly :p

Cheers fella's!