PDA

View Full Version : experience of ATB and Plate LSD

johnny27
28-09-05, 09:35 PM
Has anyone any experience of driving with the Nova quaife ATB (automatic torque bias) lsd? I hear that it at no stage will lock and drive both wheels, so what is the advantage? On the other hand, has any one have experience of driving with the traditional plated lsd where both wheel will suddenly lock and spin. I ask this because i am trying to choose one suitable for my nova road rally and hill climber car which i am starting to build. Altough i would probably prefere the fun and shear force of the plated diff. At the moment the car has a 4.18 cwp running on 14/185/45 tyres and revs out to 8000rpm so there is alot of wheel spin and power not getting to the road. I have drove other front wheel drive cars with plated LSD but never a nova and never experienced the ATB diffs, its a lovely sensation when the diff locks up and puts alot of downforce on you in your seat, almost feels like all 4 wheels are spinning. Any help appericated, but would rather someone with experience give me advice and not this in theory crap, thanks lads.

Stuart
28-09-05, 09:39 PM
my personal pref is a plate diff, its always there so you know you can bung it into a corner. wherea re the atb is snatchy and scary at times.

if you dont like getting your hands dirty and getting the diff serviced then get the ATb, but if you dont mind a bit of work every now and then, get a plate.

Dar
28-09-05, 10:16 PM
ATB's are fine and not scary snatchy. I run one in my trackday car, I get almost no torque steer and the thing pulls very well through the bends.

I believe in a sheer performance test the plate diff would come out on top.

For more info checkout this thread, we've gone through this one before http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114376

S_Gault
28-09-05, 10:24 PM
plate every time (gotta agree with stu here)

ATB isnt a real LSD, it wont do anything if one wheel is off ground.

Steven

Stuart
29-09-05, 08:06 AM
fook me! lol, thats getting quoted and siged ;)

S_Gault
29-09-05, 06:20 PM
np stu.. i only tell the truth, i have no axe too grind

johnny27
29-09-05, 06:30 PM
thanks for the good advice lads. When the time comes for it to go in, i def choose the tran x plated lsd. One question though can i still use my 4.18 pinion and change the crown wheel on the new diff for to keep the the same fd?

benji
29-09-05, 06:59 PM
np stu.. i only tell the truth, i have no axe too grind

thats the most sensible thing i've read on here for ages

Philsutton
29-09-05, 07:04 PM
only drove one with a atb, i was very pleased with it an it did a much better job over standard and on the track.

Stuart
29-09-05, 09:33 PM
thanks for the good advice lads. When the time comes for it to go in, i def choose the tran x plated lsd. One question though can i still use my 4.18 pinion and change the crown wheel on the new diff for to keep the the same fd?

yep you just swap the crown wheel over... oh and the speedo drive if youve not got one with it