PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v T40 WIP

Nick
28-09-05, 05:26 PM
Finally it's being done... no pics as yet, but here's where were at so far.

the little 1.2 is out, Cleaned all the cam housing e.t.c

the 1.6 is now pretty much rebuilt, all the bores and pistons have been cleaned, new rings, gasket e.t.c

head has be de-coked, larger valves are now lapped in, bit of porting e.t.c using Kent lifters/followers, new stiff Kent valve springs (not sure if they're as strong as the GM items, but they came with the cam kit, and they are new)

Were using a Kent NVO61 "sports R", which is a fairly mild cam and has a wide PB from 2000-6000rpm.

As this is a road engine, i think it'l work well as i don't intend on booting it around at 7k allday, so all the power should be really progressive (seeing as they are sidedraughts) and it wont be "cammy" which is something i don't perticularly fancy !

Really, not too much left to do, just fit the inlet manifold and carbs, then stick it in and set it up - should be running tomorow ! so i'l get some piccies then

The carbs aren't jetted for the 1.6 so it's going to run like a complete pig but i've been assured that the best effort will be made to get it as good as it'l go untill an RR session, he's allowed nearly 2 days for the carbs and ancilleries !

im so excited, finally it's nearly done !

Adam
28-09-05, 05:29 PM
Very glad to hear all is going good for you nick.
Did he manage to shift out that Andys pug out the workshop? :lol:

Nick
28-09-05, 05:33 PM
yer it's sitting outside on 3 wheels :-D

bloody gimp andy

anyway, if you want the 1.2 carb engine with a nice GTE cam in it, he's gonna stick the engine at the back of the workshop. When i'm up next i can strip it to the block,box, head and housing and maybe pop it down to riggy's garage if he doesn't mind ! - a good 1/2 way meeting point ?

i've had a look at the bores e.t.c and it's all good, head is in good condition too - runs well

Adam
28-09-05, 05:38 PM

bloody gimp andy

anyway, if you want the 1.2 carb engine with a nice GTE cam in it, he's gonna stick the engine at the back of the workshop. When i'm up next i can strip it to the block,box, head and housing and maybe pop it down to riggy's garage if he doesn't mind ! - a good 1/2 way meeting point ?

i've had a look at the bores e.t.c and it's all good, head is in good condition too - runs well
Cool, sounds good.
Should we let Riggy know about this? :lol:

Nick
28-09-05, 05:43 PM
nah, im sure we'l beable to let ourselves in !

but anyhow, it's not going anywhere so as soon as i sort myself out and find a weekend to come back and do it i'l let you know.

some petrol contribution to the van (?10 of diesel last time) is all you need to pay ! - engine is free

NovaBen
28-09-05, 07:23 PM
Hello Nick,
Hows it going? Car sounds as though it is coming on well. Let me know when its been to the RR, it would be interesting to know what yours is pushing out! Mine is of similar spec (minus the head work) so would be nice to see what difference head work makes. Especially as i wasnt best pleased with my results!!!
In light of that, she's coming off the road over winter again for more work and more power!

Ben 8)

Nick
28-09-05, 07:38 PM
What did yours come out of the RR with ?

the headwork is only light - the guy who's doing it is a Formulae ford man, so he's excellent at squeezing power out of engines with limitations. And in my case the limitation is cash ! so it's some homegrown headwork but he really knows his stuff so it shouldn't be too bad !

I'l be putting a B+ head, or a similar item on at christmas and a full custom exhaust, for the time being it's just the standard GSi one -

I'm not really sure on BHP tbh ? with the head and exhaust it's going to be similar spec to jims, and snowfaces.. (difference in cam) but there's ranged between 168bhp and 13? bhp !

Nick
28-09-05, 07:42 PM
as long as it has more than 55 i'm going to be smiling :-D

NovaBen
28-09-05, 07:44 PM
Well bearing in mind the spec of mine is:
1598cc GTE Engine
Twin Webber 40DCOE carbs
Kent NVO62 Cam Kit
NO head work, only a skim
Lightened and balanced crank and flywheel
Ashley Manifold and system
BHP: 102 Torque: 100lb/ft :? :o
Now you can tell why i wasnt best pleased!!!
And my rally car (Standard 1.4 16v, Twin 40s and exhaust = 110bhp!!!!).

Ben 8)

Nick
28-09-05, 07:48 PM
oooh that's worrying !

i would have thought the 40's alone are an improvment over the EFi ?

maybe just a bad RR result ?

Well at the end of the day, does it feel faster than a standard GTE or not ?

p.s i was hoping for around 120bhp from mine ! guess i'l lower my hopes a bit !

NovaBen
28-09-05, 07:50 PM
But then again he did manage to get an extra 20hp out of it at the rolling road just down to cam timing, ignition timing, bigger chokes and set up of the carbs.
It does feel quick, but need it quicker, hence why its coming off the road soon! :lol:

Ben 8)

Nick
28-09-05, 07:55 PM
god, so it was down on 80bhp originally ?

Well my carbs have come from Skoobs 1.3SR, so it's not going to be running fantasticly well ! but i'l see, no doubt it'l feel rediculous compared to my 1.2 power !

it's going to sit until christmas on my drive, so i have plenty of time to organise an RR setup, exhaust and head !

pics up tomorow !

Jack
28-09-05, 07:59 PM
Sounds good nick. How much has it set you back in total, if you don't mind me asking?

but i'l see, no doubt it'l feel rediculous compared to my 1.2 power !
try going from 55bhp total to 55+bhp in each corner lol

Nick
28-09-05, 08:08 PM
Sounds good nick. How much has it set you back in total, if you don't mind me asking?

but i'l see, no doubt it'l feel rediculous compared to my 1.2 power !
try going from 55bhp total to 55+bhp in each corner lol

oi shut it ! ruining my moment !

Erm, well.... bout ?300 for the carbs, ?200 for cam kit...

half the engine i rebuilt myself... ?free

Engine - ?70 from riggy (or something like that)

head + cam labour + Rest of rebuild + Fitting + Setting up = ?150ish

So about ?600ish really - not bad at all if i can make decent power out of it

(p.s i would have done the whole enigne myself, but seeing as i am going to uni on saturday i have rather alot on me plate)

Nick
28-09-05, 08:11 PM
and yes, i have just realised how rubbish i am at maths !

Jack
28-09-05, 08:13 PM
Hope you're not doing accounting at uni :lol:

Still, not a bad price all in...

Nick
28-09-05, 08:23 PM
no , i doubt i could have sold mine + my ?600 , and then found a original GSi in as good as condition, with a mint interior, with a T40 converted lump e.t.c

so it was the best way to do it

Adam
28-09-05, 08:56 PM
1598cc GTE Engine
Twin Webber 40DCOE carbs
Kent NVO62 Cam Kit

THat seems very weird :?
Was that definently 102bhp at the fly?
You would expect a standard 1600 engine with ashley manifold and system to be around 105ish bhp.

scott.parker
28-09-05, 08:58 PM
Good to here its all going well nick,shell be nice to see the finished engine in the car.

humm ?600 +?600 im sure there could be a nice 1.6 T40 nova to a nice spec out there on the market for around ?1200..

anyway good luck with it all.

Scott

Riggy
28-09-05, 10:45 PM

bloody gimp andy

Cool, sounds good.

PMSL GARAGE MEET :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick
28-09-05, 11:00 PM
Good to here its all going well nick,shell be nice to see the finished engine in the car.

humm ?600 +?600 im sure there could be a nice 1.6 T40 nova to a nice spec out there on the market for around ?1200..

Scott

yes, but i know all the history of mine, and it's solid ! i'm confident it'l battle on for many years to come. Plus being brown and fast is cooler !

yep, garage meet it is... See if we can get more than 4 nova's this time

Riggy
28-09-05, 11:02 PM
lol you mean leave the punto at home :lol:

Nick
28-09-05, 11:05 PM
you can come in the blue one :-) .. screw TRAX and PVS or whenever..

Your deadline is the all-important, Riggy's garage meeting.

scott.parker
28-09-05, 11:08 PM

Scott

yes, but i know all the history of mine, and it's solid ! i'm confident it'l battle on for many years to come. Plus being brown and fast is cooler !

yep, garage meet it is... See if we can get more than 4 nova's this time

Hence why i whent for make my owne into a valver and not just bought one.

Scott

Snowface
28-09-05, 11:14 PM
nice going, any progress pics?

that 102bhp figure must be at the wheels.

womble sri
28-09-05, 11:19 PM

definetly my 1.4 8v put out 89.8 at the wheels when it wasw running like a bag of shit which it still is.

Nick
28-09-05, 11:34 PM

i went down today and didn't have my camera, otherwise i could have got a shot of it on the lift with no engine...

then some nice photo's of all the head, new valves e.t.c !

i'l try get some tommorow, but i'l have some finished shots on friday when i get it back !

Adam
29-09-05, 12:18 AM

bloody gimp andy

Cool, sounds good.

PMSL GARAGE MEET :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LMAO,sounds cool :wink: :lol:

Make sure you remember your cam on your next visit to your car nick :wink: :)

NovalutionGSi
29-09-05, 12:53 PM
1598cc GTE Engine
Twin Webber 40DCOE carbs
Kent NVO62 Cam Kit

THat seems very weird :?
Was that definently 102bhp at the fly?
You would expect a standard 1600 engine with ashley manifold and system to be around 105ish bhp.

That dont sound right really.....mine made 112 at Fly 80 at wheels with mild cam which i'm unsure of what make, but as you said Ben, he made an extra 20bhp with some tuning.

Jim
29-09-05, 05:53 PM
Great stuff Nick, it'll be a hell of a difference from the 1.2 :) Just be sure to take it easy :)

Looking forward to seeing you down the pod ;)

Jim

benji
29-09-05, 06:27 PM
need to get yourself down there aswell

NovaBen
29-09-05, 09:16 PM
Nope, its all so true! I've just got the graphs out. The first run was 82.9bhp @ 5221rpm / 94.4lb/ft @ 3576rpm, both at the flywheel, and it came out at the end of the day with 102.2bhp @ 5918rpm / 99.4lb/ft @ 4335rpm!! All readings were at the flywheel.
But hopefully i'm going to pull some more out of her over winter!

Ben 8)

Mike
29-09-05, 09:21 PM
more ponies, you can never go wrong! i nice long winter build!

im quite tempted to rebuild my engine over x-mas, but id need to get a nwe daily driver to do my 40 mile+ trip to work and back!

time for a ?200 tappy fiesta then? :lol:

mike

NovaBen
29-09-05, 09:23 PM
I've got a ?50 POS Nova 1.0litre to get me to and from work over winter!!! Or an astra van, diesel! Might just be cheaper to run.

Ben 8)

Jim
30-09-05, 08:06 PM
need to get yourself down there aswell

:P

Patience is a virtue ;)

Jim

mikey14sr
01-10-05, 10:14 AM
Nope, its all so true! I've just got the graphs out. The first run was 82.9bhp @ 5221rpm / 94.4lb/ft @ 3576rpm, both at the flywheel, and it came out at the end of the day with 102.2bhp @ 5918rpm / 99.4lb/ft @ 4335rpm!! All readings were at the flywheel.
But hopefully i'm going to pull some more out of her over winter!

Ben 8)

My mates GSI, standard other than k+n and full stainless (cat-less) exhaust makes 115 at the flywheel, shame it's only moved two miles in three years!