PDA

View Full Version : taking off window handle???

jock23
26-09-05, 02:59 PM
I know i have seen how to do this on this forum before, but any hints on how to get the window handle off so i can remove the side panel in my MK2 and get to the locking mechanism???

I think i can see the black ?? spring that haynes says i have to remove, but how the f**k do you remove it??

Cheers

probert_nova
26-09-05, 03:18 PM
theres a special tool to you can buy which makes the job much easir, only a few quid from most motor stores. it looks like a set of pliers but has loads of adaptors. if not, then the clip looks like a C, use sumut like two knives (preferbly not sharp) to push at the same time at each side. it should pop off but iv'e done this loads of times and sometimes it works straight away and others i just wanna take the angle grinder to it.

Philsutton
26-09-05, 05:05 PM
i just use a thin flat blade screw driver, can be a bit fiddly though.

Nick
26-09-05, 05:44 PM
or another way is...

get a thin/fine teatowel and wrap it round the spined shaft that the window winder sits on (so it'l be wedged between the handle and your doorcard)

now, holding each end of the cloth (forming a u shape with the teatowel) pull back and forth and the clip should catch on the material and ping off !

take a bit of practice but it worked for me

Philsutton
26-09-05, 05:46 PM
ping off !

when you say ping off you mean lodges into the back of your eye lol

Ste L
26-09-05, 06:57 PM
i just use a thin flat blade screw driver, can be a bit fiddly though.

thats how i do it, just don't lose the clip, done that a few times lol

scott.parker
26-09-05, 11:23 PM
Yeah just get a nice screwdrive be carfull of your eyes and hands with the flat head end!lol and place it on behinda dn push till the fooker comes of,had to di for my mate to get his door card off,or use the cuir clip plyers :lol:

Scott

ads w
27-09-05, 05:57 PM
i use a house hold hook thing comes straight off

jock23
27-09-05, 06:04 PM
sorted, got 2 screwdrivers, one quite small, and just kept pushing it till it came out!!!

cheers!!!

Matt2107
01-10-05, 01:31 PM
Once you've got the knack of this you can do it in about 5 secs.