PDA

View Full Version : Converting to central locking??

jock23
25-09-05, 05:36 PM
currently my nova has no barrel in the passenger side door (got broken into last night) and the barrel on the other door is able to come out due to rusting around it!!!

So I am in need of some rather quick advice really. I am going to cover the hole on the passenger side and respray it as the lock never worked anyway.

But on the drivers side, i dont know if there is an easy way of refixing the barrel to the door, or how expensive would it be to convert the whole car to central locking and get rid of that hole as well!!!

Any suggestions??

Adam
25-09-05, 06:38 PM
You would need a central locking kit, microscan one is about ?40 IIRC.
Then you would need an alarm that had outputs for remote locking, as you will have no door locks to unlock, so need a alarm to fire the lock solenoids.

Jack
26-09-05, 10:23 AM
Direct Car Parts (http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/default.php?cPath=74) sell the bits you want

2 door central locking (http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/product_info.php?cPath=74_82&products_id=4868) ?41.99 (?54.99 for 4dr)

Basic alarm (http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/product_info.php?cPath=74_78_79&products_id=794) ?53.99

-tucny-
26-09-05, 12:51 PM
i fit one of these the other day, the one without the remote start.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REMOTE-START-CAR-ALARM-SECURITY-SYSTEM-IMMOBILIZER-NEW_W0QQitemZ8002736634QQcategoryZ75329QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

its about ?30, it comes from hong kong and takes about a week to get here but it is well made and is packed with functions. it has a built in central locking controller too so that plus two solonoids is all you need.

maplins sell the solonoids or you could get a 4 door kit for ?21 use two of the motors and sell the kit on as a complete 2 door kit as you dont need the controller!

Jack
26-09-05, 02:29 PM
I didn't think remote start alarms were legal... for the same reason turbo timers aren't

-tucny-
26-09-05, 04:24 PM
i have one for mine, and the one on the above alarm works similar. there are sensors on the ignition, break pedal, coil etc.. so the engine cuts out if no key isnt inserted and it goes over certain revs or if the break pedals pressed and the alarm is armed.

Donova
29-09-05, 06:40 PM
I,ve got an alarm fitted already, could I just buy two locking solenoids and connect to it? :?

Jack
30-09-05, 09:45 AM
So long as its got the output for it, yeah.

jock23
12-10-05, 09:51 AM
Well I have seen a set in halfords, get the alarm for ?40 and the central locking for ?30, cant remember the name of it now though.

how good are the ones off ebay?? I dont want to be messing about with remote starts, I just want an alarm and a central locking device that I can attach.

Is it dodgy buying on ebay from abroad? What happens if things start going haywire with your car???

-tucny-
12-10-05, 11:36 AM
the alarm arrived well packed fairly quickly from china. my advice if your not sure what to do is either get a professional to do it or fit a sparkrite as a blind downsyndromed monkey could do that!

jock23
12-10-05, 11:50 AM
Aye that was it, sparkrite in halfords.

Am considering just getting the central locking parts from maplin (as it seems to be cheaper) and then getting a decent alarm that will fit onto it.

Is it pretty straightforward fitting these or does it take some time??

-tucny-
12-10-05, 02:08 PM
it depends if you have experiance or not. its fairly straight forward, i find it quite easy but iv done a few now. its easy to get the hang of, just read fitting instructions and take your time.

jock23
13-10-05, 08:22 AM
Does it have an affect on your insurance if you put an alarm/immobiliser on your car, or does it have to be a really top quality one to do that???

-tucny-
13-10-05, 04:13 PM
it doesnt often if its not thatcham approved. a cat 1 alarm isnt much, but you need an approved installer to fit it. but with any alarm if it gets triggered before anyone can tamper with it or nick owt its better than no alarm.

i made a mistake of unplugging the alarm that came with my car when i passed my test a few years back because the remote on/off on my amp triggered it 20secs after it was set and i didnt know how to get round it. then ?1000 of ice got nicked out of my boot. if i would have sorted the alarm out they wouldnt have had time to clear me out.