PDA

View Full Version : Got a Problem.... Locking system and an unknown Black Box!

NovalutionGSi
23-09-05, 12:55 PM
Ok, i have central locking on the GSi...but its not very central anymore. the Passenger door has stopped locking/unlocking.

Now when me and my dad were doing the welding after fitting all parts back we found a black box that normally sits on the under dash trays on the passenger side.personally i dont know what it does but it had taken in some water from the hole that dad had repaired.

Can anyone tell me if this unit is anything to do with the locking or what it does and if not part of the locking what could be a good place to start looking for the fault is.

Philsutton
23-09-05, 01:09 PM
that is part of the central locking, if its taken on water then thats why its not working right. Get another one an it should be alright. Had the same problem with mine a while ago.

Nick
23-09-05, 05:56 PM
I have a similar problem with mine, it works now and again for some reason.

The black box is a little ECU for the central locking, this basically operated the passengers solenoid whenever you operate the drivers solenoid !

As phil said, it's likely to be that so replace it, if the problem persists check the wiring is intact, which it should be, and then your last port of call is the passengers solenoid.

NovalutionGSi
23-09-05, 10:43 PM
Cheers Guys.....thats sorted one prob out! now just got to find one, wish i had taken the 2 i had from my past 2 SR's! Dammit! :lol:

Nick
24-09-05, 12:46 AM
bets just to get a whole spare CL system, never know when the harness ECU and Solenoids decide to play up !

NovalutionGSi
24-09-05, 08:32 PM
Good thinking Nick..... shall be looking in Scrappys for now on to get some! :D

Nick
24-09-05, 08:50 PM
yep, there's no point buying one from ebay...

but i mean if you find a SR/SRi or something in the scrappy, just take the whole lot as the rest can be used for spares

Ste_Nova
25-09-05, 01:37 PM
open the box... only has a couple of relays in it.... you can push them by hand to test it

Mike
26-09-05, 04:39 PM
^^^ sounds easier than messing with loads of wires!

mike

Nick
26-09-05, 06:02 PM
i did that ste..

half the board is covered in some kind Red resin (is this meant to be like that ?)

I pressed the relays and nothing happens at all, i guess it's time for a new ecu ?

bump
27-09-05, 05:47 PM
the resin in on many circuit boards it prevents shorting across the components. it's the bain of my life reparing things. use a hairdryer and a scapel to remove it from the board.