PDA

View Full Version : Rear Discs

Rob77
22-09-05, 08:23 PM
Will putting discs on the back push the wheels out towards the arches?

(Are the discs wider than drums?)

Rob.

addgsi
22-09-05, 08:32 PM
i wouldent say so but are u converting the nova axle or using somthin else

Rob77
22-09-05, 08:34 PM
Swapping beam to a converted one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Nova-Disc-Braked-Rear-Axle_W0QQitemZ8001752862QQcategoryZ23013QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

addgsi
22-09-05, 08:36 PM
i would say it wouldent make that much diff

Rob77
22-09-05, 08:44 PM
I run 18" alloys - so every mm is critical!!!

Exact measurements would be useful!

Thanks,
Rob.

addgsi
22-09-05, 08:49 PM
mmm now uve stumped me

Rob77
22-09-05, 08:58 PM
:lol: No worries man!

Thanks for the help so far!

Anybody else have any ideas???

Cheers, Rob.

justnovas
22-09-05, 09:27 PM
it all depends on how thick the plates are are on the axle but the rear disc axle is 1mm wider than drums each side.
hope this helps
paul

Timmy
22-09-05, 09:28 PM
you think you will get much increase in brakeing power running rear disk....
my thinking is that they lock up as weight is push forward, this wil lock up and kick out the backend so you would have to back them off so they not wokring top doller then there no real point.. stanrd drums work fine well on my little beast they do im just going to upgrade to Astra GSI disk on frount

Rob77
22-09-05, 09:54 PM
it all depends on how thick the plates are are on the axle but the rear disc axle is 1mm wider than drums each side.

Cheers Paul - that does help. Just didn't want them to be an inch wider or something daft like that!

you think you will get much increase in brakeing power running rear disk....
my thinking is that they lock up as weight is push forward, this wil lock up and kick out the backend so you would have to back them off so they not wokring top doller then there no real point.. stanrd drums work fine well on my little beast they do im just going to upgrade to Astra GSI disk on frount

Well I am putting 310mm discs on the front - so the rear discs should match the performance of the fronts!

Rob.

Phil GTE
23-09-05, 06:26 PM
on mine the wheels were pulled further in - catching on the shocks!!

Lee
23-09-05, 06:51 PM
Well I am putting 310mm discs on the front - so the rear discs should match the performance of the fronts!

Rob.

...which means you will have more braking power at the front = more rear end lightness under braking.

IMO discs look nice for show purposes but if your doing it for uprated braking performance, as mentioned, youll have to back them off to the same performance as the drums, so theres not much point.

Snowface
23-09-05, 08:18 PM
if your engine is in your boot then rear disks would be a better idea. If not then 80% is just for show, drums will do, esp if you have 310mm up front.

Rob77
24-09-05, 02:13 AM
Hmmm.

Will have to bear all this in mind then before I spend any money!

Cheers,

Rob.

Timmy
24-09-05, 11:46 AM
are all nova rear drums all the saem size my local garage has messed my thred up on one and going to get a seecond hand replace ment are they all the same size?

benji
24-09-05, 02:38 PM
discs will give a better pedal feel

martweaver
28-09-05, 08:24 AM
discs will give a better pedal feel

Exactly - And they are so much more reliable than drums, mine are always losing setup which is why they are going in the bin!!
Every year at MOT "your rear brakes aren't working properly mate" - Fooks sake!!

I will be fitting them to mine but what I plan to do is - before I weld the new plates in place, just bolt them on to the beam & put a wheel on to see if there is any difference. If there is I will just get the plate machined down a mil or 2 before they are finally welded.

Mart