PDA

View Full Version : Painting sideskirts?

NOVA_JONO
22-09-05, 09:53 AM
I have got some original GM gsi sideskirts, but they have faded and turned light grey, i've tried using back to black, but they still look crap, so i think they'll need painting black.
Question is what sort of primer and paint do i use on them?, because i don't want the paint to crack and flake off.

Cheers Jono.

F188CHG
22-09-05, 10:13 AM
Use scotch pad to rub it down so the paint will take then 2pak primer it to fill all the imperfections then paint the colour of your choise m8

NOVA_JONO
27-09-05, 08:16 PM
Cheers mate, i've got all my paint sorted out now, just got to fit them :roll:

Jono.

Adam
27-09-05, 11:50 PM
I have done the same thing on mine, sprayed them with plastic primer, then matt black.
They look good, and i have tested the paint by bending them slightly, and the paint is fine.

I just got to find somewhere that sells the clips, my vaux dealer says he can't get them at the minute :roll:

-tucny-
28-09-05, 08:28 AM
as said above rough the bitch up to key the surface! then use plastic primer (spray gun stuff is best, its like that glue you use on airfix models) this actually melts its self to the plastic then use 2k primer as this is more flexible than other types, then 2k paint as another type may react with the 2k primer. + with 2k you shouldnt need a laquer.

NOVA_JONO
28-09-05, 10:04 AM
When you say 2k paint, where can i get this?, just out of local motor stores in spray cans?

Cheers Jono.

-tucny-
28-09-05, 12:03 PM
you cant get 2k in cans, its a two part paint where as you have to mix a catalyst with the paint to make it harden and dry. therefore you'll need a compressor and gun to apply it, if you havnt got these and want to do it yourself then your only option is to use canned plastic primer, highbuild primer, colour coat and possibly a laquer all of the cellulose or synthetic type.

Adam
28-09-05, 12:05 PM
When you say 2k paint, where can i get this?, just out of local motor stores in spray cans?

Cheers Jono.
Nar.
2K is the paint that they use in professional bodyshops with spray guns.

Spray cans is usually acrylic/cellulose.

I have done mine with spray cans, and they came out good, but matt black is probably the easiest colour in the world to use, as you haven't got to worry about getting a good shine etc.

NOVA_JONO
28-09-05, 06:30 PM
Cheers guys, i have'nt got a compressor and spray gun etc, so i'll just get some rattle cans from local motor store and give it a try. :)

Jono.