PDA

View Full Version : Changing Engine

tom_beverley
21-09-05, 10:36 PM
I've got the chance of a mint wide arched shell with a 1.6 in it. Since I've had a disqualification in the last five years I wouldn't get insured.

What would be involved if I changed it to a 1.3SR engine. Would all the electrics have to be changed since I'd be changing from injection to carb?

If someone could tell me what would need to be done that would be great,

Thanks

Tom

Nick
21-09-05, 11:10 PM
Well, you wouldn't need to change the electrics as such, you'd just need to disuse parts of the loom, but you'd maybe need to wire in your 1.3Sr ignition system.

In terms of Fueling you may have a problem using the MPi tank and fuel pump. As the Mpi system and lines run at 45psi, you could probably get away with removing the fuel pump which is located in the tank and using a mech pump with a pressure regulator to keep it down at 3-5 psi (something like that)

it's more of a problem when you want a carb tank and lines to run at 40psi (injection pressure) so yours wouldn't be so bad

tom_beverley
21-09-05, 11:31 PM
Duh lol I forgot that the fuel tanks are different but wouldn't I simply be able to change tanks over or are the mounts/bolt holes different?

Nick
22-09-05, 12:25 AM
im pretty sure you can ditch the fuel pump and just run it all on a reduced carb pressure !

So you'd be ok to keep the lines and tank as it is. you may need a pressure reg to regulate a nice carb pressure. I could be wrong as i've only ever dealt with carbed nova engines

it's when you have a carb tank and lines and your trying to make it run 45psi, the lines simply wont take that pressure, and you have to find a place for the fuel pump !

p.s don't qoute me on the fuel pressures they are just some figures that came into my head from haynes, there is certainly a big difference tho

Adam
22-09-05, 12:48 AM
Tom, you may still have problems insuring it even with a 1300 in.
Its still had an engine conversion, so insurance class it as had an engine conversion.

Nick
22-09-05, 01:03 AM
Tom, you may still have problems insuring it even with a 1300 in.
Its still had an engine conversion, so insurance class it as had an engine conversion.

might not have been a GSi to start off with ?

F188CHG
22-09-05, 10:23 AM
Wot is it on the books i have a 1.6 but its really a 1.2 if you know wot i mean :lol: :lol: :lol: