PDA

View Full Version : Adjustables catching on wheels (allesios)

wardyworld
19-09-05, 08:29 PM
Hi,

I've got spax RSX 543 adjustables at the front and 2 litre brakes with 16" speedline alessio 2's

I've been told by Just Novas (when I had the suspension and brakes fitted) that the adjustable suspension is JUST catching on the wheels.

We fitted spacers (about 3-4mm) but I think it only needs 1mm max its that small of a margin.

Question is - can you get spacers that thin?

Also - someone must have had this problem as well - is there any better / alternative way to cure it?

cheers,

Adam. (wardyworld)

Nick
19-09-05, 08:35 PM
can you not make spacers from some 1mm sheet ?

wardyworld
19-09-05, 11:20 PM
can you not make spacers from some 1mm sheet ?

suppose I could - just wanted to know if you can buy them ready made?

Also - im sure im not the first person with this problem, so wondered what the peeps with adjustables same as me have done?

cheers,

Adam.

Adam
19-09-05, 11:58 PM
I haven't seen any 1mm ones, as i was looking for some.

Think most places start at 3mm.

Cant you just get the 3mm ones ground down a bit to 1mm?

Stuart
20-09-05, 08:02 AM
are the wheels catching the spring? or the body of the damper?

if its just the spring then get a set of similar/slightly harder rate springs but about an inch or so shorter so they clear the wheel ;) thats the beauty of coilovers. The springs should only set you back ?40ish. When i belive a set of spacers is ?20ish?? which is a bit of a bodge.

Lee H
20-09-05, 08:55 AM
are the wheels catching the spring? or the body of the damper?

if its just the spring then get a set of similar/slightly harder rate springs but about an inch or so shorter so they clear the wheel ;) thats the beauty of coilovers. The springs should only set you back ?40ish. When i belive a set of spacers is ?20ish?? which is a bit of a bodge.

Exactly what I did, swapped the 7" springs for 6" and the problem was solved.

Philsutton
20-09-05, 03:00 PM
right it wasnt the spring catching the wheel it was the platform itself that was catching which was exactly the same as my avos. If the it was lowered some more then it would be a problem but then with the spax doing this would mean it would be stupidly slammed on the front. Those thinner springs sound like an option but would mean you would have to lower a bit more on the front.

Aragorn
22-09-05, 01:58 AM
i think the idea is to fit shorter springs and raise the platform above the height of the tyre, as opposed to lowering the platform even further

you therefore maintain the ride height but the platform is higher up

burgo
22-09-05, 02:20 AM
get the file out if its only 1mm ;)

wardyworld
22-09-05, 04:20 PM
right it wasnt the spring catching the wheel it was the platform itself that was catching which was exactly the same as my avos. If the it was lowered some more then it would be a problem but then with the spax doing this would mean it would be stupidly slammed on the front. Those thinner springs sound like an option but would mean you would have to lower a bit more on the front.

Hi Phil,

I should have just asked you straight away! lol

cheers guys for all the suggestions.

I dont want to lower it anymore - it bottoms out on the motorway as it is!

Phil - i had the rear brakes looked at and some work at the front - I think they've taken off the spacers at the front - you can hear the fronts * JUST * catching - im thinking the 1mm spacers are the best option - as I like the ride exactly as is now!

Phil - also - that Nova you took the brakes off for my car had 1mm spacers didnt it? Any idea where the bloke got them from as they will do just the job!

Cheers,

Adam.

Philsutton
22-09-05, 05:10 PM
from what i can remember the spacers on other car were the ame as the ones you have on now. I would imagine that the place that makes the spacers should do them for most sizes. I'll have to have a look see if there are any about.

wardyworld
22-09-05, 05:48 PM
from what i can remember the spacers on other car were the ame as the ones you have on now. I would imagine that the place that makes the spacers should do them for most sizes. I'll have to have a look see if there are any about.

Cheers :)

Stuart
22-09-05, 07:10 PM
as aragorn said, get shorter springs and raise the platform up.... same ride height w00t. ah and get stiffer ones if you bottom out on the mway

wardyworld
22-09-05, 10:12 PM
as aragorn said, get shorter springs and raise the platform up.... same ride height w00t. ah and get stiffer ones if you bottom out on the mway

Yeah - will look into getting new springs - is the best place to go coil springs?

Plus - I think its bottoming out as ive got them set on the softest setting - its nice and comfy, but not great for cornering! lol

cheers,

Adam.

Stuart
22-09-05, 10:15 PM
for coilover springs anywhere that does the right ones at the right rate and cost is the best lol

id look at no more than?60 for the pair tbh.... even tweeks arent that pricey for these things. or even rally design

Rob77
22-09-05, 10:23 PM
I had EXACTLY the same problem!

You can buy shorter and stiffer springs direct from Spax.

The details of your current springs are as follows:

200mm long
61mm ID (internal diameter)
45nm spring rate

Their number is 01869244771.

Ring them and they will give you a price (was about ?67 + delivery when I rang them)

Rob.